Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

vx800 - nice combo or just weird?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by dub, Oct 22, 2008.

1. I've come accross a Suzuki vx800 for sale, they were only sold here for a few years in the early 90's. They look like a slightly stretched naked bike with an 800cc cruiser engine.

Has anyone had any experience with these or what are peoples thoughts on them?
  2. 54hp. 0-100 in 5.8 seconds. Pretty lame.

Probably a handy bike with the shaft and all, but not the stuff of dreams.
  3. They got good reviews at the time, but didn't make sense on paper.

We were all being told that v-twins were lighter, but this thing wasn't. Despite what the paperwork said, all who had anything to do with them spoke fondly of them.

If suzuki had of persisted they may have been a very good bike (a few kilos here, slightly better suspension there). Another lost oportunity by the Japanese.

Most would have very high ks by now.
  4. Yeah but that makes it learner legal here in the ACT.

I see myself riding a cruiser eventually, but would prefer to learn a bit more "bike craft" before retiring to a cruiser. Maybe this may be a good compromise between a cruiser and naked.

Its got 60k on the clock, pretty reasonable for that engine, plus at only $3k it has only got to last me till I'm off restrictions.
  5. I know of one rejetted and with straight pipes. It sounds sh!t but goes better than it should. If the price was right it would be worth a closer look as they seem pretty bullet proof.