Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

vulcan oil leaks

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by grmarshall, Jun 1, 2006.

1. i have a 2000 vulcan 1500fi , it has developed an oil leak on the top of each head were the half moon shaped alloy seal is, has any one had the same problem? and how did you over come it???? HELP please.
    cheers Geoff

2. Its quite a common problem to seal in the half moons either the rubber type or alloy types.

If the seal is old 5 years etc get new seal etc and using 3 bond sealant OE type usually available from a dealer and glue gasket to rocker cover

then using an oilly rag wipe top face apply 3 bond to the seal and fit that way when its needed to be removed again it comes free of the head but stays in the cover and gives you a fightling chance to use it again

3 or Three bond is messy and stringy to use but it works the best for this application i have found also known as gorilla snot

Good luck

3. thanks heaps for your help....i spose theres no other wayto get to but dropping the motor down????

4. yeah its a pleasant afternoon job when its raining but from memory you should not have to drop the motor the rocket covers should be removable in the frame ?????