Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VtrElmarcos 04 R6 Musings

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by VtrElmarco, Jan 3, 2006.

1. As a prelude to this review I was always under the impression that all the 600 cc race reps are merely cookie cutter versions of each other and you just best pick the best looking bike match to your leathers. After riding the CBR600RR recently and being massivly impressed by it, I wanted to see if my opinion was correct by cross referencing a ride on a similar type bike from a different brand.

To recover from a massive night at the Paddo (105 beers available and I tried to drink them all…), I took my brother’s 04 R6 out for a nice cruise around Perth. So I was slightly tired and emotional when I slung my leg over his very nice red R6.

It is a great looking bike, like most of the 600 cc race reps are. The initial seating position is deceptively comfy and fits my 6 foot frame like a glove. I think could do quite a lot of kays in a day on a bike like this which was a pleasant surprise. There seems to be more of the bike in front of you than the CBR.

It has a beautifully light clutch action which was a joy to use but it had somewhat of a notchy gearbox which I was a little surprised and disappointed at. This bike had also done 3500 kays, so I thought would be well and truly butter smooth by now. The problem was lessened somewhat if you rode it like you stole it, but this was a limited option during the double fine/double demerit holiday period.

Taking off from the lights, it had no power below 6000 rpm, but a nice midrange rush built up from that to 10 K rpm. After 10 000 things get really interesting all the way to the redline at 66 thousand rpm. Built to be flogged. My finely tuned arse dyno could detect no difference in power between the CBR and R6. You would have to ride the two bikes around a race track one after the other to detect the small sliver of difference in power between them. What’s 2 hp between friends?

I still had the usual complaint of the lack of midrange on the R6. Sitting at 110 on the freeway, the bike is doing 5000 rpm where it is making no power. You have to down change 9 gears to get spirited acceleration at this speed. Great for the racetrack, and average for the road. I can see why many chose the 1 litre versions with the larger bottom end and massive midrange. Up a twisty country road, the R6 would come into a league of its own though.

Suspension feedback was excellent and it had a livelier feel on the road than the silky smooth CBR600RR. I actually enjoyed the R6 ride more but there is really very little difference and it is splitting hairs. Turn in to corners and it felt very stable and planted with the ability to alter your lines at will.

The front brakes. They were phenomenal. Nice initial bite and sensational feel. Every bit as good as the CBR’s radial mounted jobbies. If you can tell the difference between a good set of old school calipers and the new school radial mounted versions, I will beat myself to death with my shoes.

So after a ride on this amazing motorcycle (too good for the road), my opinion hasn’t changed about the 600 cc super sport class. They are all sensational motorcycles and you can do no wrong by purchasing one. Just be sure to get to a race track to really let them run free.

I’ll have a Pink and Silver ZX6R to match my leathers thanks….
  2. Thanks for the writeup Marco... I love the look of the new R6, it reminds me of Battle of the Planets. Trans....mute!
  3. Thanks Loz. The 06 R6 does look great in the flesh. Very angular and agile. As a road bike though, Yamaha have made it even more track focused (If that was even possible!!) than the outdated 04/05 models. Such is the rate of progress now. :shock:

I would love to ride these bikes on a track. They would come into a league of there own.

I will definetaly try the ZX6R as well, as the extra 36 cc may help give it a little more midrange for the road. Plus they look drop dead gorgeous as well. :wink:

Now to find one in Silver and Pink...
  4. Forget the ZX6R, check out the Triumph 675!

With regards to what you say about bike development being more and more track focused, a UK bike magazine recently did a test where they reworked an R6 engine to more closely model the power delivery of a 1990's Thundercat engine - that is, they detuned it and sacrificed top-end horsepower to boost low-end and midrange torque and power.

They then gave it to 22 testers, a few pros but mainly just experienced road riders, in a blind test against the stock current R6. 20 of 22 said the engine felt stronger, faster and more fun on the detuned model. A 10-15 year old 600 would beat these things up to 80kmh.

So what's the point of these 600s really, if they're so gutless where you're gonna be using them? Very few of us would ride on the track often enough to make that sort of thing worthwhile.

Makes you wonder, as the magazine pointed out - with the huge gains in top-end horsepower we've seen in the last 15 years, imagine how much fun a 600 could be these days if those 15 years had been spent developing power in the usable part of the rev range instead of screaming away up the top!

/Make mine a litre, thanks.
  5. but isn't that what the nakeds are for? midrange power?
    eg honda hornet, yamaha fz6, suzuki gsr600 etc?

supersports like zx6, r6, cbr600 are meant for the top end performance.

or did you mean something else?
  6. Exactly mate, and 20 out of 22 people who test rode them without knowing which was the detuned one said it was heaps better, stronger and more fun to ride!

Who's making the decisions that are going against the preferences of 90% of riders?

And why do people keep buying them if they keep moving further and further in that dodgy direction?

It's fashion and blind adherence to hp figures. More hp must be better... But it seems that's not true for most people!
  7. Having ridden the gsxr, cbr and R6 aswell as the bike I bought, I decided on the zx6r (the 03/04 model)... I definitely has a bit more in the mid range...
  8. from what i've read the triumph daytona 675 has alot of midrange power, making it alotta fun to ride in real world streets.

it will be interesting to see what this bike does to shake up the jap 600 supersports. if the 675 is a big hit then we may get what you want Loz, sport bikes with juicy midranges in the future instead of the top end performance.
  9. Yeah good point - it seems Kawasaki's been moving that way for a while, with those ccs creeping upward on their 6, which has been popular and a class winner in most mags.
  10. That's a reason I am swaying towards getting a 675 for my next bike. Quote from an article about the 675:

usable torque is delivered from below 5,000 rpm, whereas a 600cc, four-cylinder machine can need 7 or 8 thousand rpm on the tachometer before punchy torque levels arise. Triumph claims the Daytona 675 provides as much torque at 5,000 rpm as most 600s provide at 10,000 rpm.

This type of power delivery can only make street riding easier and quicker. Despite the relative grunt down low, Triumph also says that a healthy top-end rush arrives above 10,000 rpm.
  11. You know what is really pi$$ing me off about the 675. Triumph have been releasing this bike for about 9 years now. :wink:

I mean enough is enough.

After a few rides on the 600cc, I am now keen to try a litre bike (Any brand will do as they are all stupidly fast it wouldn't really matter). I am not really a 'hyper sports' bike fan though but it would be a blast to try one.

I am also very keen to try the KTM Superduke, Ducati S4R and Triumph Speed Triple.

We shall see...