Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VTR250 won't start

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by quantum27, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Hi All,

I haven't had a chance to ride my VTR250 for a couple of weeks, and yesterday I tried to start it but it wouldn't.

I think the battery is fine, it just wouldn't turn over. I was doing a search on the forum, and it seems like I need to bleed the carbs or something. But I have no idea how to do that.

Thanks in advance.

2. can you hear the starter motor going? or does the headlight die when u hit the ignition? the VTR should be fine sitting for a few weeks, a little hard to start maybe, cough and splutter a bit, but should work. is the fuel tap set to on? killswitch lol?

try giving it a slight rev as u hit the ignition, just juggle that a bit. if it seems flooded let it sit for 5min before giving it another go.
  3. Yep, I hear the starter mortor going. Tried it with the fuel tap on, even tried reserve. I've also opened the throttle and tried starting it.
  4. Have you pulled the choke all the way down?
  5. Could be fouled spark plugs.. I had the same prob. Basically it would churn but nothing would happen.

There is a good troubleshooting section in the vtr250 manual. I am not mechanically minded at all and I was able to replace them and starts beautifully now.
  6. do you know if the battery is giving enough voltage to kick it over?

if you have a charger, try charging it overnight. no harm trying the easiest solution first.

Or try roll starting it.
  7. did you try the roll start?