Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VTR250 weak battery after short time

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Hypervisor, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Hey All,

Starting this thread so I can record my Battery dilemma for future reference. If you care to help feel free to chip in :)

Bike: 2010 VTR250
    Battery Age: 2-3 years (guess)
    Battery Measurements:
    • 12.6v off
    • 12.4v on
    • 13.8-14.0 idle
    Problem: Leaving the key in the "on" position (headlights on) for 10-30min will run the battery flat, after a clutch start the bike will charge up and be fine. It's got me thinking that either a) the battery is on the way out or b) the bike should not be left on (with lights on [no off switch]) without the engine being on. Going to take the battery for a test if further advice points to it being the issue.

I guess I'm use to the larger battery of a car if it ends up just being the case of "turn it off" when not using it.

2. Much lower capacity Battery than with a car. Don't leave the light on and you might get lots more out of it.
    You are probably due for a new battery.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Smaller bikes tend to have smaller batteries, typically 5 - 7 amp/hour. That means leaving the headlight on without the engine running will flatten it in a relatively short time frame compared to a car.
    BTW your riding a honda ( based on your profile ), a brand synonymous with burned or failed regulator/rectifiers....recharging a flat battery repeatedly probably isn't making an already fragile component's life any easier.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. +1 to both replies, when the headlight and tail light are on you are drawing about 5 amps. This will flatten a battery past the point where it can crank the engine in a short time. Your Charge voltage looks OK.

Why are you leaving the light on without the engine running?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. no shit sherlock

just had to type that , sorry carry on
    • Like Like x 1
  6. this whole thread seems redundant?

The battery charges when the bikes engine is running, it discharges when the engine is not running.

What are you so surprised about, and why are you leaving the lights on for 30 mins ??!?!?!
  7. #7 Hypervisor, Jan 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
    Sorry, very new to bikes. Just wanted to make sure my thoughts concur with others. I have a dry cell Blue top Optima battery for my car so it's kind of black and white compared to the bike battery (6AH vs. 70AH).

Thanks for your help guys (nod's given), I'm not use to the fact that the bike is turning the light on automatically. Just when i was cleaning it today and during the inspection.

I think I'll be investing in a new battery either way :)

Edit (info if your interested in this style of battery technology): http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/f...portbikes/58662-new-battery-optima-style.html