Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VTR250 vs Hyosung Comet GT250"

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Romus, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Hi guys. I'm as newbi-sh as it gets ;)

I'm a car dude who always admired bikes but never really rode one, not legaly, not on the road. Well with petrol prices on a steady hike and not wanting to part with my 535i I decided to get a rider's licence, not so much for reasons of petrol (because where you save on that you lose on insurance) but because traffic is sicknening. I left full time work for freelancing because of that but now I gotta get back into, so have to get a bike.

First of all - am I in a dangerous learning age at 26 (meaning too old) and no prior bike experience?

Second, I'm about 5'9 and 95kg heavy, looking for a bike to sit on, not lay on. Sorry about the terms, I told you, I'm newbi ;). And I really like the looks of the VTR250. But the Comet is cheaper. Having said what I'd like, have to remind you that I am aware there are tons of similar looking bikes out there I may not be aware of, so please - throw it all my way :)

Thanks heaps guys :)
  2. If you were in NSW (I'm assuming you're not), you could get the Hyosung 650 LAMS bike.

So, it boils down to whether or not you want a new bike or if you want to buy something older on the understanding that you might have a few mishaps with it. As far as your age is concerned, I wouldn't worry about it; experience is a great advantage even if you haven't ridden before.
  3. You would be in a better starting position than me. I just started riding (4 days ago), having never rode before (apart from training course) and having no prior road experience of any kind. I'm in the position of both learning to ride and learning the rules of the road at the same time. At least you would have one of them under your belt.

I have a 1999 VTR250 and I thoroughly enjoy riding it. However that doesn't exactly speak volumes as the only other bike I have actually jumped on was a CB250 so feel free to take my endorsement of the VTR250 lightly :).
  4. Thanks to both of you.

Hornet, yes I am in NSW. I heard of restriction shift to a higher engine size some time ago but wasn't sure about it. Either way I think 650 would be way out of my ligue. Or the other way around ;)

I'm not looking for speed, obviously. The only place I ever break the speed limit is Oran Park raceway. But as I'm not understanding how quickly "getting bored of a bike" works, I have to ask if VTR250, or the Comet, would be something I could ride beyond my learner's year or would it become boring soon?

Yes Haggismaen I guess you're right. Didn't think about people in your position, which is far scarier really.

Thank you guys for answers

Edit: I'm looking into second hand bikes, and is it true that you have to pay more attention on gears and revs on a 250 than you would have to on something bigger?
  5. personally i would take the vtr 250 as it has a better resale then the hyosung
    but both bikes are good and fun to learn on
    :grin: :grin:
  6. YES!!! a lost brother finaly sees the light and turns away from the dark side :grin: welcome to the loony bin, your gunna love it, one thing all 250s have in common is that you soon want to upgrade them to some thing bigger, badder and better, so keeping this in mind, a simple rule of thumb is, dont spend too much, vtrs and comets a great choice, got a vtwin, so nice low-mid range toque, not as quick as the inline 4 cousins, but enough to have some fun on, have a look around on online sites for prices, best not to spend over 3k on the bike, and of course dont forget the gear! , good protective jacket leather or textile, crash lid, and some pants, I recomend dragin jeans.
  7. YES!!! a lost brother finaly sees the light and turns away from the dark side

Hehe this is what my friends cops said when I was about to join. Unfortunatelly hefty cost of joining NSWP sidetracked that career ambition. But thanks for the welcome! :)

Yes I don't plan to spend too much either mate, but bikesales.com.au doesn't seem to have VTR250's for under 4k and are rare, 6-7 is usual price. Maybe that was wrong place to look into prices.

How much can I expect to pay for the gear? Roughly? And another thing, do I have to have a bike to actually make the licence? I mean, the training course stuff.

Thanks for all your info, you guys are great :)
  8. According to redbook.com.au

99 vtr will set up around the 3k mark.

and a gt250 around the same price, though I speculate on these prices, there good ballpark figures nontheless.

if you want, you can get a a suzuki gs500 mid 90s model for the same price, there a lil heavier than a 250, but probably be a lil more fun due to its bigger capacity and its LAMS to, but its up to you.

The general consenus here is to spend more on the gear than the bike! how much you want to spend on your gear? for eg, all up I spent about on my self about 1200 all up, though it would of been cheaper had I not bought them dry rider pants that I rarely use, oh the course, yeah that, dont worry, they provide a bike for the day, and teach you the bare basics, and I mean the bare basics, have fun man.
  9. Heh thanks man!

I know between now and when I get the bike there will be heap of mind changes. I like this gs500 you told me about as well. But wouldn't 500 be a bit too big for a greenhorn on two wheels??

And what is LAMS??
  10. Hi Romus

If you are used to something like a 535, then a 250, IMHO, will only last you a very short time. Straight to your last sentence, how does a 318 compare to your car?

Take a look at the LAMS bikes here. A wide choice of bikes that will get you up and riding and give you more than enough power to not only commute but also have some fun on the weekends. Where are you riding to and from?

Go out and try some bikes for size and at your fighting weight I think you should be looking at least at 500cc

Good luck in your search
  11. Hey Toecutter.

Mate, don't tell me difference between 250 and 500cc would be as big as 318 and 535! I owned an E30 318 (both 318 and 535 are manuals) and I can relate to this comparison very much. Thanks a lot for putting it thatway! :)

I got a job at Marrickville, and live in North Ryde. Been driving there a few weeks now and traffic gets close to a chaos. It's not that I am getting a bike just for work, but traffic had me considering moving out to the country. Just not something I can deal with anymore.

Thank you very much for the help mate. I didn't think 250 would be that bad, but then I also didn't want to jump straight onto an R6 either! Then again, having read some of the posts here, it does come down to whether I'm a maniac or not. Still, bigger bike wouldn't be something I'd be confident with, but after your comparisons, I'm not sure 250 is what I am after anymore.
  12. Romus,

I too am a BMW man and also used to travel to North Ryde so I can sympathise with the traffic.

The difference between a 250 and a bigger bike (a 1000cc for example) is the difference between your 318i and the E46 M3. Its so huge its amazing. To give you an idea I dragged a E46 M3 and kept up with him to 60kph in my VTR250!!

Start off small and work on your skills first. There is no rush...remember a fall will do little for your confidence.
  13. 250s aint that bad in terms of acceleration if thats your concern, a typical boyracer inline 4 250 would toot along 0-400 meters in bout 14 or so seconds, but ya gotta rev em up and all, other than that, take your time, see which bike suits you, a 500 LAMS isnt that daunting as it sounds, a gs500 has about 45hp, but makes double the torque, and plus its much larger too, since your a learner, what is most important is handling the bike! so no need for a blazing rocket just yet.
  14. go for the 650... 250s are a waste of money IMHO
  15. I wil also say get a 650. I started learning to ride late last year, had NEVER ridden any sort of motorbike before, and because I am a bit like a fridge, went straight for a 650. I bought an old 650 that needed work, but I can do that sort of thing, and now I know my bike inside out and know it's all good.
    So, I'd go a 650, but if you get an older bike, find out about their reputation and parts availability. A good place for this is Ebay or Trading post or similar. If parts come up every week, then they are around and you will be good. Old bikes have teh bonus of heaps of second hand parts, cheap to insure and far less likely to be pinched if left in a slightly rough state. If you pick teh right bike, you will also find many new reproduction parts are available if you need them. The NSW LAMS list has some great bigger older bikes on it, well worth looking at options in that list.
    If you are buying something newish, disregard!
    Bigger engines usually mean more useable torque lower in the rev range, and a bit of extra weight to the bike, which makes them a bit easier to ride in my opinion. I don't have to change gears as much as I have had to on smaller bikes I have ridden, and I can tool around in 4th or 5th gear in traffic.
    As for safety gear, well, I have only spent about $500, that included a new helmet (bought a cheapo one first up, got rid of that pretty quickly)., some great gloves and a nice Cordura jacket. I get by with heavy jeans and my footwear has always been heavy high sided leather boots, so didn't spend any money there either. Consensus on the board is budget $1k for gear.
    I also understand your Sydney traffic anguish, I grew up in balmain, and it was one of the things that drove me out of Sydney(nothing like weekend peak hours eh!).

Regards, Andrew.
  16. That's a fair hike. Where abouts do you work in Marrickville? If you don't mind me asking that is.

If you want to check out a VTR250 you can just pop over into Dulwich Hill (all of about 500m away from Marrickville if you didn't already know). Mines a 99 model fitted with a Staintune pipe, sounds very nice :). Also you can check out my jacket and gloves that I bought from RM Gear who I thoroughly recommend for getting some good leathers at a very agreeable price.
  17. Again, you guys are great. I've never driven the E46 M3 but I've raced a few with my E34 535M and know what you mean! Thanks :)

At first mentioning traffic as a reason for wanting to get on the bike I thought you guys would laugh at me. It's comforting to know that I'm not alone there. Many people I know just say "man, put up with it".

Anyway now I don't know what I want anymore. I'll definitelly go through the LAMS list and see what I like. I still want a bike looking like VTR.
    Then I'll make the licence I guess and then I can go and test ride some bikes to see which suits me best. Being tall isn't a big help either :).

I am sure I'll come up with many stupid questions in future days/weeks so guys, please bear with me ;).

Mate, job's in Sydney Steel Rd, and I'd love to stop by and check it out, if it wouldn't make an inconvenience. :)

Thank you all very much for responses to my first question.

18. If it's naked bikes you're looking at you might find the Yamaha Zeal, Suzuki Bandit and Honda Spada worth a look too. The Spada is quite old (89) so finding one in your price range shouldn't be too difficult.

None of the 250's mentioned so far should be a problem for your weight. At 95kg I wouldn't bother with the CB, SR or GN 250's and avoid the cruisers altogether.

Height is an important aspect when looking at 250's cause they're not real big, but I'm 5'10" and yet to find a 250 I can't ride in comfort, so it won't be a problem for you.

250's do have one distinct advantage over the bigger LAMS bikes for a learner (especially one with no prior experience). That is the weight of the bike. They corner much more easily than a bigger bike. There is a fair abount of weight spinning around in the bigger bikes and getting them to alter direction takes more effort than a 250. One day an effective counter swerve will save your hide and it will be more easily done on a smaller bike. My ER-5 is considerably harder to turn than my old CB 250. It has more than double the horse power but I reckon I could still put the CB through a sharp corner faster than the ER-5, and definately with less effort. Being light also means less mass to stop when it counts.

I am certainly not saying that the bigger bikes aren't worth a go. There are some fantastic bikes on that list and you will love them. But, in my next life, I'll go for the VTR250 on my L's.
  19. If I'm home it's no inconvience whatsoever. Just PM me when you want to take a look-see and we'll work out a time.

Heh, the VTR certainly has no trouble pulling all of my 60-65kg around. Go go fuel economy!
  20. I will Haggismaen, thank you very much mate.