Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VTR250 Troubles :(

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by tomtom44, Dec 7, 2012.

1. So I was about to sell my VTR250 but apparently she doesn't like the idea of that.

Was just about 100m up my road last night and it decided to die on me.
    I have a feeling it is something to do with fuel not getting to the engine....
    Here's why:
    I just went on a massive trip to QLD from VIC and about half way up there, there was a problem with the fuel getting to the engine.
    Some awesome guy stopped to help me and he figured it out, as I don't know a lot.
    The valve that lets fuel through I think was the problem. He didn't actually fix anything with it though afaik, he just pulled it out, tried to fix it then put it back together and it worked.

Problem was, there was a rubber pipe thing that came out when we pulled the tank off, it must have been loose, and we couldn't see where it went back in. So we left it out and it still worked.
    But I couldn't switch it to On, had to leave it on Reserve. For some reason the fuel still wouldn't go through unless it was in reserve.....

When it stopped this time it felt different though. It suddenly just stopped, rather than running out slowly.
    It also sounded weird when I started it up. It was deeper and slower than usual.

Any ideas at all?

I think I may have to clean out the carbs and valves, as I've seen that mentioned around in maintenance threads but I have no idea how to do that so I haven't yet, and the maintenance manual is no help for that. Could anyone explain how that's done?

I guess I'll post pics of the rubber tubes and fuel valve if that would help, but will have to do that tomorrow.

Thanks in advance :)

2. #2 tomtom44, Dec 8, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
    Okay, here are the images in an album.
    Not sure how much help it will be.
    http://imgur.com/a/L1UBh#0

The first one is the pipe that just came out of nowhere lol
    The rest are shots of under the tank, in the hopes someone can see where it should go, as I have no idea what's going on under there.
    Oh, and here is a video of trying to start it. There is a weird noise, that's a bit quieter? Sounds like it's trying to start but can't, which is why I think something may be blocked up? Really no idea lol
    It sorta sounds like a pigeon in the video.

3. use the search function.

1. clear out breather tube to the tank - tube to nowhere.
    2. if that doesn't work remove and cleat the petcock... the valve under the tank.

in that order.

my guess is the breather tube again.

4. Is there supposed to be a breather tube here?
    http://i.imgur.com/MuYJX.jpg

In that protruding metal pipe?

The mystery tube doesn't fit that, way too big.
    Did I lose a breather tube too?

5.  Top