Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VTR250 throttle no power

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by quantum27, May 27, 2009.

1. Recently I've noticed when I twisted my throttle, the amount of power isn't coming through. That is, it feels like I'm not accelerating as much as I use to. I would hit 6-7000rpms quite quickly.

I've checked my fuel tap, so that's good.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

2. There are many bikes out there.

Which one is yours.

There are many service histories out there.

What's yours like?
  3. Had the same thing on the vtr after practicing wheelies and worried i might have rooted the clutch,
    but turns out the problem was just the clutch cable adjustment.
    Check you have a small amount of freeplay on the lever, if needed adjust the nuts down on the lever thing going into the engine (tech term), might be all you need.
  4. Can't imagine the clutch cable having too much to do with it.

There's so many variables here, from chain and sprocket to crap carbs, shot valve clearences etc. Have you changed anything recently?
  5. think about it. pull the clutch slightly, and you have some contact between the plates, transfering some power, but not 100% of it, as they are still slipping partially. with a poorly adjusted clutch cable, for what ever reason its too tight, it will be as though the clutch is pulled in slightly even when fully released. just a possibility.

OP, like QW said, so many variables. how old is the VTR? more to the point how many km on it?
  6. Yeah, I think it'd be other stuff before that though.
  7. Yeah I thought the same QW ... thought I'd need to replace the clutch
    but in troubleshooting in the workshop manual it suggested the cable first, and lo and behold it helped