Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

vtr250 tacho over reading

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by wchee, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Hi guys. I'm new to this forum. Wondering if i can get advice on something. I replaced the speedo/tacho unit on my 2007 vtr250 with an after market one and now the thing is consistently showing rpm 1000-2000 higher for any specific soured compared to the old one. How do i fox this?

2. which one is correct?
  3. I think the old one may be the correct one since its the original one and from searching online, 100kn/h is about 7k which was about what i was getting. Now I'm doing close to 9k for 100km/h
  4. Hi Greg
  5. Welcome wcheewchee When you get a chance can you go and post an intro thread in the Welcome lounge just telling a bit about yourself. It is the custom around here.

With regards your tacho, electrical tachos you generally have to tell it how many cylinders the bike has and if it is an electrical system with a lazy spark. i.e. a spark that fires on the exhaust as well as the compression stroke. Is there any instructions on the info that came with the tacho.

Poor earthing of the pickup often can also cause noise which results in incorrect readings,
  6. Ok cjvfr. And thanks for your input.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Unfortunately not. And there doesn't seem to be any way of setting it.

If i replace it with a used part from 2006 model, would it fit or are the electrical wiring different?
  8. Couldn't say lots of bikes within a manufacturer have interchangeable parts but then for strange reasons known only to them manufacturers make changes.

I wouldn't give up on your after market Tacho yet, does it have a pickup wire, where does that connect? This pickup could be very susceptible to noise from the rest of the ignition system. Sometimes re-routing that wire so it doesn't go near the other parts of the ignition, particularly the High Tension (Spark Plug) side can solve noise issues. The other thing to look at is the earth to the tacho tied to the bike frame with a good solid electrical connection.