Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VTR250 - Sticking high revs/idle

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by wiinis, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Hi. This is my first bike, a brand new VTR250 which I've put around 800kms on the clock.

I'm having a problem with sticking high revs/idle. When I first start the bike and let it warm up it idles fine, around 1500rpm. But sometimes when I'm approaching a stop, say I'm doing around 4000rpm and pull the clutch in and change down gears and come to a stop, the bike will stay at 4000rpm when I'm at a complete stop in first gear at the lights with the clutch in. The revs won't settle back down by themself. If I slowly release the clutch that will pull the revs back down to a sane level but when I pull the clutch back in it will still be quite high at around 2000rpm.

This was a bit of problem the first week I had the bike, then for a month it seemed to go away, now the problem has returned more often in the past week.

I don't usually check each gear in as I shift down - I'll just hold the clutch in the whole time and shift down to first and brake to a stop.

The throttle cable isn't getting stuck and the spring there is fine, same for the carby side, the spring and mechanism are working fine.

I'll be taking it in for the the first 1000km service soon and I'm hoping someone here can give me some pointers on what I can ask them to check.

Thanks a lot.

2. Sure your not running it with the choke on?

Mine sits at 3000 or so if I leave the choke on.

3. no the choke is definitely off.. i only use the choke for about 20 seconds when it's dead cold to get it running.. then i turn off the choke and let it idle and warm up for a few minutes or so before i take off.

it's pretty weird.. and it's not a consistent problem.. it only happens intermittently.

thanks for the reply though

4. in case anyone stumbles across this thread in the future..

it was a blocked jet in the carby causing the problem.

they rebuilt/cleaned the carby and it runs like a dream now.