Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VTR250 steering fast at speed.

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by burna, Feb 25, 2013.

1. My gf [saspotato] and I serviced her bike the other day and also replaced the chain and sprockets. I took it for a ride yesterday to make sure it was ok and just to see how it is going generally as I haven't ridden it for about 4 months.

When I got up to 110kmph the steering felt very light and fast. Wobbling the bars produced quite a wobble through the whole bike to the point where I thought it would break out into a full on speed wobble.

I used to slow down the steering on my dirt bikes years ago by sliding the forks down the triple clamp but they are already as low as they can go.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the bike as such, I am prob'ly just used to mine, but throwing this out there in case anyone has some info that might be useful.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Are the wheels balanced?? specially the front? are the weights still in place?
  3. Yes, I think so. I didn't notice any vibration. I will check later when I get home.
  4. Could it be from fitting new chain? As chains wear, the rear wheel is pulled back to maintain correct tention, which lengthens wheelbase. Usually when fitting a new drive chain, the rear wheel is pushed back forwards again, shortening wheel base.

I've never personally been able to feel a difference in handling from this repositioning of the rear wheel, but on paper it's possible. Worn tyres could also cause handling problems. Sagging fork springs. Play in wheel bearings or swingarm pivot bearings. Worn steering stem bearings.
  5. What's the front tyre pressure?
  6. The recommended 29psi
  7. Does @Saspotato notice it?
  8. No I don't. It's the only bike I have ridden though so I have no basis of comparison. I have not ridden it since the chain was changed on the weekend though (as per Tinkerer's idea), am in a few hours so will see if it is any different though that seems unlikely?
  9. My guess is that it is simply burna not being used to your bike.

I have a Bandit 1200, my wife had a Monster 750. Whenever I rode her bike I thought there was something wrong with the front end (felt very light), but it was simply how that bike was.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. I'd be very surprised if moving the rear wheel forward an inch would make any noticeable difference. Like I said, it's prolly just the way it is.
  11. Yes I think so. Maybe he should let me ride his so I can compare? ;)
  12. I'm just reading about a police blitz in another thread. Prolly not a good idea atm! ;)
  13. I agree.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Having a little trouble working out what you mean re the fork move.Pushing the forks above the top of the upper tree reduces trail and speeds up the steering,makes the bike less stable.Moving the rear wheel forward does the same but with a lot less effect.Jacking up the rear does the same as pushing the forks through the trees.With modern geometry it doesn't take a lot to get them flappy,thats sports bikes.Commuter 250s arnt usually known as razer sharp steerer's.Hows the wheel alignment after the chain replacement.I like to measure back on each side from the swing arm pivot to the axle.Its a cheap and cheerful alignment check.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Bike felt normal when I went for a ride. Think it's just the differences in our steering.
  16. lol.
    1. did you get a new tyre as part of the service?
    2. VTR forks are pretty poxy... possibly it's just not as planted as you're used to.

check the head stem bearing is tight...
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Nah but I'm due for new tyres in a few weeks. Yep head stem bearing is tight.
  18. Yep that's what I meant, except I was thinking of sliding the forks down the triple clamp to make the steering slower but they are already as low as they can go.
  19. Yep, all's good.