Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VTR250 starting/idling issue

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by dnardy, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Hey all.
    I bought a VTR250 2000 model from a mate a couple of months ago. It had been sitting for a few years, and I've had to replace a gummed up fuel tap/petcock, as well as fuel and vacuum lines. I've finally got it to start with no leaks, however it only starts on full choke, zero throttle. It idles away happily on full choke for any amount of time but dies at the slightest hint of throttle, or if I try to back off the choke.

I know the problem is probably a dirty carb, but is there any tricks I can try to avoid removing the tank again? These hoses can be a b!tch to get back on.
    Thanks for reading, any hints would be appreciated.
  2. I'm guessing you'd need the tank off to remove the carbies, sounds like they need to be at least partly stripped and cleaned. Float bowls off and cleaned, needle and seat assemblies cleaned, float levels set. Spray some carbie cleaner through the venturis, jets, etc. The gum you saw in the tank filter and tap is probably in the carbies too, the carbie cleaner should dissolve that.
  3. Yeah from what I've learned from replacing the hoses etc, have to take tank off, then through the air box to the carb. Ah well, should have done it while I had access.

Going to try playing around with the mixture first though, just in case.

4. Haha the last time I did that it took me forever to get it back together. Would of been a bit easier if i drained the fuel first but I eventually got there :p
  5. Take your time, drawings or photos of connections, linkages and the like. Bolts back in the holes they came from, note short/long screws/bolts in case they aren't all the same.
  6. Yep will do, it's the hoses that are hard. Honda decided to make them just long enough to reach with a lot of persuasion in a spot a six year old would have trouble getting there hands into. But I made them a bit longer and have used clamps that are easier to manage than those wire things.
  7. Interesting..... Can you back off the choke when it's warmed up?? Or does it still stall?
  8. Only a fraction. Not even back to 3/4, probably only 4/5 or less.