Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VTR250 - stalls in neutral

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by ihaveduff, Feb 20, 2007.

1. I have a VTR250 2000 model. Occasionally when i'm in neutral and rev it slightly (forgetting i'm in neutral and wanting to take off), it'll stall. Would this be because there's too much fuel going in? or because i've recently started using premium (96 octane, not the 98 stuff)?

or am i completely missing the mark here?

2. Try upping the idle a little, its a black capped screw on the left side of the bike on the carbs.

Take note of how many turns you make, then next time you need to fuel up fill it with regular unleaded and reset the idle back to how it was. See if the problem goes away with upping the idle using premium, then if it stays away with the idle at normal and regular unleaded.
  3. sweet will try that mate! cheers
  4. You don't need to turn it much only a little will do. Bike should be idling at around 1300.
  5. I don't have a tacho, so will have to play by ear
  6. well upping the idle seems to have fixed it!!.. also fixed the neutral light that flickers temprementally at best, off at normal!
  7. Don't bother with the poor fuel, just run it on 98 octane all the time.

Do you use the lower octane because it's too expensive to fill your bike up with the 98?? The bike will run better and cleaner causing less pollution too!!!
  8. I think you will find the VTR will actually run better on 92 unleaded. There is actually no real benefit using 98 or even 95 for that matter.
  9. A 250 can knock and ping running on 98 octane. You might see some improvement in fuel efficiency using 95 octane as opposed to 91 octane, but there is certainly no need to run 98.
  10. adjusting your idle mixtures is one way of raising your revs (which is a quick fix), but you may need to get your carbies balanced.

Over time, the mixtures for your carbies goes out of whacked and will need to be adjusted.

Another thing that may be causing it to stall is because your idle jets are dirty. Before taking it to a mechanic, i'd put some Nulon Fuel System Cleaner into your fuel tank.
  11. Up the idle speed, a flickering neutral light and flickering headlight, can indicate low idle speed. just make sure it doesn't sound like it's idling too fast. You will notice a louder clunk when going from N to 1st if it is idling too quickly.