Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VTR250 Speedo to fit Spada

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by petemack, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Hi,

recently had a little accident and the only damage I incurred was a smashed speedo on my Honda Spada.

I have found a new VTR250 speedo on ebay for a decent price (I think. Tried posting it but I lack the posts to be able to do so. It's brand new from USA for $215 including postage.) and after hearing that the VTR and Spada are fairly similar was hoping to use this speedo. It also looks prettier than the Spada stock speedo.

So can anyone confirm that this would be a suitable replacement? As in, would it work with out any mods? Just a quick unplug the old and plug in the new?

Any advice is appreciated.

2. Have you considered aftermarket digital instruments?

There are many others out there, by the time you're done it will probably cost a little more than VTR instruments but you may get more features.
  3. A speedo from the US will be in mph not kph. A pain in the butt and probably illegal.
  4. Does the VTR have a cable operated speedo? Because the Spada did.
  5. I believe both those digital speedos can be switched from mph to kph......

They would both be more hassle than the original or perhaps vtr250 instruments, although they offer more features, are new, and not much more expensive.

Loz managed to get an "Acewell ACE-2802" working on his handbag project.

Doh!, ahh, the vtr speedo is from the states..... :facepalm:
  6. Thank you all for your help.

The speedo IS in KPH. That part is all good. I ordered the speedo yesterday and right now I'm pretty sure the cabling will hook up ok.

Now I'm just thinking about the mounting issue but should be good.

I'll let you know how I go!

Thanks again!
  7. I recently had the exact same problem with my vtr- came off, speedo smashed to bits. where did you manage to find the part? I've yet to go get a smash quote, butr the only figures ive seen floating around the internet are somewhere in the ridiculous 1k mark, which doesn't seem right?
  8. Off eBay from USA for AU$215.
    I am still yet to install it. Been quite busy!!

Actually, to be honest...I may not end up installing it as I'm looking to get a new bike anyway.
    If you want it, it's yours (not for free of course!)
  9. I realise this is a very old thread, but did you end up fitting the VTR250 speedo to your spada successfully? I'm looking at doing exactly the same, except the VTR250 speedo is coming from China..
  10. Another bump to this thread. My tacho needle broke off so considering putting a vtr250 instrument set on my Spada. Has this been done yet?
  11. Another bump...I want to know the same thing. Gauge panel on my Spada is completely stuffed and the new replacement VTR250 ones look similar. I dont mind a little wiring, it should be simple enough but what about the speedo cable? Will the Spada cable fit VTR speedo?
  12. Faced the same issue a month ago and ended up getting a trail tech vapor.

easy to install and works well. I've got mine currently mounted using cable ties onto the original mounting bracket until i've got time to fashion a custom mount.

but if your heart is set on an OEM instrument cluster, head over to a wreckers and see if they have any vtr250 that you can try/buy. chances are honda used the same parts between the spada and vtr250
  13. I spoke to a guy at Team Moto today and he reckons he fitted an earlier VTR250 cluster to his Spada, said that speedo cables were the same on the gauge end and wiring was straight forward. Might give it a go.
  14. Could anyone offer me advice on what aftermarket speedos fit the spada?