Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

vtr250 regulator rectifier

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by spenaroo, Jan 27, 2012.

1. well yesterday i blew the main fuse, replaced and noticed a small amount of smoke from the rhs of the bike. so today i replaced the fuse with a bigger size. only to see smoke pouring from the regulator rectifier, ive seen it happen before on this forum (i used the search, its amazing),

so how many people has this happend to?

and anyone got a spare??

and anyone who has replaced it, whats involved? does the tank need to be romoved etc...

2. I just replaced mine on the 929 using a part from these peeps www.regulatorrectifier.com

Don't know about your bike... but on mine I had to remove the ducktail, the seat, and I lifted the tank for access to the wiring. But the actual replacement is easy... just bolt the new one back where the old one came from and only remove what you have to move in order to gain access.

Other than that... just load and lock. Or plug and play. Or whatever. ;)

Edit: PS. Don't f**k about with fuses. They are there for a reason. If it blows... find out why... don't replace it with a larger one, or it defeats the purpose of having a fuse in the first place.
  3. yeah i figured that, i wanted to track down the smoke. and my reasonig was that its already screwed so it shouldnt go past that point, but im still worried i may have damaged something else.
  4. Was the bike running when you did this? If so some stator damage may have occurred but it is unlikely.

It is unusual to get smoke from a reg/rec usually the failure is to overcharge or undercharge. However the reg/rec connects directly to the battery through the bike main fuse so large currents are involved. Re damage to other components it is unlikely. A fault that causes smoke is drawing large current so the voltage will collapse, high voltages are what generally kills components. Damage to the wiring loom or connectors is possible so you should inspect the wiring and connectors for melting.

Fekkinell's recommendation of Regulator rectifier.com is a good one, I have had good performance out of Reg/Recs supplied by them. See: VTR250 Reg they are made to a higher spec that the OEM ones. When mounting the regs I tend to use some Heat Sink Compound as well to improve heat dissipation to the bike frame.

Just as a pointer, general wisdom is that fuses are to protect the electric components of the bike, in fact they are there to protect the wiring loom. As fekkinell said is is generally poor practice to replace a fuse with a higher value one. However I understand your reasoning in this case. A common trick is to put a power resistor in place of the main fuse of about 15 ohms this will limit the possible delivery current to under 1 amp and allow you to use a multimeter to track down the faulty component.
  5. thank-you, ill make shure to sheck all connections,

the bike was not running,
    it was working fine wednesday, parked it (lights etc... were on before turning off the ignition). and then when i went to start it thursday, there was no power at all. which led to the tracing down of battery charge, loose conetections etc....

ill most likely replace it with a new OEM item - they did supercede it to a new part. (i work at a bike shop, so its cheaper and quicker for me to do it this way, if its in stock its only 3 days) however if honda australia do not have it in stock i will go aftermarket (i dont want to sit for 2 weeks + without riding).

the heat sink is a good idea, however im not shure how much difference it makes with the casing on the oem item.

6. Heat is their killer so if you can dissipate that heat more efficiently you will improve its life. Although the fins on the from of the Reg dissipate heat much is conducted away through the frame of the bike where the metal base of the reg touches the frame. All the paste does is improve that thermally conductive path.

Doesn't matter, I generally do it this way but its up to you. Hope you are mobile soon.
  7. so i installed the new reg today,
    it looks like the regulator was changed with the 2003 update to the VTR250, the new regulator is completly diffent it is alot thinner, but the fins make it the same size (they changed the cover to metal with decent size fins) it looks to be a much better system, and heavier duty. oddly cheaper.
    but not suprising as its 12yrs younger...

the bike is now working and sounding as good as ever.

thank-your, for all your advice and opinions.
  8. When substituting fuses, this handy chart is helpful.

Although you may later find yourself in need of some of this
  9. Best to get a newer style MOSFET r/r if you are replacing, like the new yami r6/r1 shingdengen fh012aa (check which model is suitable first) than old style shunt type, im assuming yours is. Well remember it for next time. Dodgy connections is a big killer of r/r's, heat isnt the root cause, just a symptom. Roadstercycle do good kits that bypass old wiring, as do easternbeaver. May seem pricey but it's insurance for the charging circuit.
  10. The smoke was probably the rear of the r/r wich is a hard mould,and melts due to the heat,your wiring might be slightly cinged or off color, need to check that too and make sure your stator wasnt damaged and battery as well,cheers.