Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VTR250 rear shock review

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by AndyJ, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Been trying to figure out how to improve the suspension on my VTR for a while. Tried a 600RR shock (exact same length) about a year ago which had promise but too much work required to get it right. Just today I had some new parts arrive from Sweden...

Stats:
    Shock:_________________Length__Top Mount__bottom mount___Spring rate____Part weight__Spring Length
    VTR250________________295mm__29mm______40mm_________?____________2.7kg_______202mm
    CBR600RR(07-2012 ABS )__295mm__26mm______40mm_________110N/mm______2.65kg______160mm
    OHLINS HO944__________295mm__29mm______40mm_________160N/mm______2.1kg_______169mm

cbr600rr shock: fully adjustable, but due to the 600RR's linked suspension, the standard cbr spring is far too soft for the VTR250. It needs a 170N/mm spring for a 80kg rider (i.e. RT SK SPR 58.2x152 17.0kg SRSP 5815170 from Racetech, ~$150) and then a re-valving/rebuild (~$350). The major issue though is the clearance issue caused by the banjo bolt (for the external reservior) which slightly clashes with the frame. Also needs 2x 1.5mm washers either side of top bush to mount properly, or otherwise just replace the eyelet mount bushes with 29mm ones.

Ohlins HO944 shock: Just pulled the wrapping off, and so far it looks rather conventional. These shocks don't have any adjustability aside from preload. In your hands you immediately notice the 600g weight savings over the OEM. Thanks is due to Steve Mudford of Technical Partners in Kensington and Steve Cramer for the increadibly fast delivery and great advice. Haven't yet fitted it to the bike to testride, roadtest to come.

Ohlins top, OEM centre, 600RR (ABS version) bottom:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. interesting. so if you dont mind me asking... whats the ohlins worth?

3. does that ohlins shock have only a 'rebound' adjustment??

if so the rebound also effects the compression damping of the shock and it is an emulsion shock. they suffer from oil aeration because the oil and gas are mixed together in the body (because it doesnt have a bladder in the resivoir to seperate the nitrogen and oil).

you'll get an unpredictable level of damping but whether you can feel it or/and its a problem for you is another story.

a good way to test if your shock is not behaving right is to wind the rebound damping all the way in. when you push on the seat it should feel really stiff and slow to respond. now go ride off a gutter (sitting on the seat) and feel the rebound speed. we found it was alot faster so we kept trying stiffer and stiffer internal valving but it was just the limit of the design of the shock.

though this design ohlins shock was used on a heavy bike used for adventure riding, on a lighter bitumen only bike the problems with the shock design might not be as noticeable or at all!

4. the shock would be worth more than the bike :LOL:

5. depends if you get a good deal.... I remember back in '07 ohlins were clearing CBR600 forks for $800...... im kicking myself these days that i didn't do it.

6. As per OP, there is no adjustment.

This is not an emulsion shock, it's a D-type Gas pressurized type of shock absorber with internal reservoir in the main body. Gas and oil divided in the main body by a separating piston

RRP is $495, that's what I paid

R&T forks for $800????!!!!

7. yup... i hadn't had the bike long so didn't realise how good a deal it was lol... and figured i wouldn't notice the difference anyway!

ohlins used to have annual clearances of select items in the us... wasn't widely advertised but i stumbled across it.