Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VTR250 rear brake pedal adjustment?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by benco, May 9, 2011.

1. Hi guys,

Just got a 2004 VTR250, but I've been trying to lower the angle of the pedal, but can't for the life of me figure out how.

Uploaded some pics for perusal. http://imgur.com/a/9uxYp

Figured it would be as easy as moving the lower bolt above the U shaped bracket, but after going at it with a spanner (see: marks on the bolt :cripes:) realised that it was pretty much connected to the U shaped bracket.

I spun the top nut a few times, it didnt do anything.

Owners manual and service manual both say nothing about adjusting it.

Ideas?

I've been told it is the bolt that spins, but it seems to be pretty damn stuck in that U-shaped bracket+nut. How do I un-stick it?

2. Bit of a bump for this one.

There appears to be a circlip (type thing) holding the a connecting pin/link in place. So it is a case of remove circlip, slide out pin, spin bracket, slide in pin, replace circlip.

Now my question is how hard is that circlip going to be to get back in? Should I just get the mechanic to do it on the next service?

3. Circlips are a PITA. I removed and replaced 2 yesterday just changing footpegs. I usually just expect to bend them but they work anyway.

4. ok, it is a split pin.

The steps I used are;

1) park up on a nice flat area
    2) remove split pin from linkage (with a small flat screwdriver and a couple of pairs of little pliers, or your fingers and a leatherman).
    3) loosen hydraulic cylinder from frame (2 allen keyed bolts)
    4) remove linkage piece
    5) loosen locking nut with an M12 open ended spanner, while holding onto the "shaft" with an M10 open ended spanner on the nut at the cylinder end
    6) adjust the position of the u-shaped bracket
    7) put it all back together again.

The steps you should use are

1) loosen locking nut with an M12 open ended spanner, while holding onto the "shaft" with an M10 open ended spanner on the nut at the cylinder end
    2) adjust the position of the u-shaped bracket by turning the "shaft" through it using the M10 open ended spanner on the nut at the cylinder end
    3) tighten the locking nut. :facepalm: