Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VTR250 question

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Wanderer, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Hi,

I have a '04 VTR250 and the owner's manual states it weighs 159Kg. Now the website and everything else I have seen says it weighs 139Kg. Looking at the manual, I cannot see a date of printing or anything like that, so wondering do I have the right manual, or is all the other stuff wrong, Reason I ask is if the manual is for another year, I can't trust the rest of the stuff in it (not that I think there were many changes over the years...)

If anyone knows the answer, would help - if not I will call Honda.

2. Can't help you there sorry mate. Have checked with the website and also another VTR250 owner and there definately seems to be disparity with the weights. I would give Honda a call to be sure. I would say it may be a typo. There is no way there would be a 20kg difference between models. It's the same bike! Very odd i say. :shock: Let us know what you find out.

3. Hmmm 20kg difference.... Now what could weigh 20kg? How about fuel, water and oil?
    Is one the dry weight and one the wet weight?
    Seeing that I don't own a VTR, my input is purely speculative, but it makes sense to me.

P.S. just checked the Honda site. 139kg is the dry weight...
  4. OK,

I converted the Japanese honda site to English and it appears PlaneZRX is correct. They specify a dry and wet weight so I am guessing the weight in the manual is the wet weight. Will conform with Honda and advise.

5. Very true but they don't usually list wet weight in hand books. I have the 1000cc version but ride a friends VTR250 whenever i get a chance. I highly doubt they are 159kg dry.....

6. Falom,

Agree - they are 159 wet and 139 dry.

7. Cool. Hey if you ever want to head out on a VTR ride, 250 and 1000 give me a PM.

8. Falom,

Sounds good - will PM you in the next day or so.