Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VTR250 Power loss

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Muzbot, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Hi - My VTR250 has been having a few issues taking off from a stopped position. It revs very high before it will start moving, and then I feel like I need to push it off with my foot. I've noticed this only after the bike has been running for a while and is hot. I've dropped it off at the workshop and the guys said that they couldn't find anything wrong. It's done about 10 000Km. It runs fine in all other gears once it gets going.

This seems to be a bit of a recuring problem. The last time it happened was around the 6000km mark and the guys in the workshop told me to change from premium to regular unleaded and this seemed to do the trick - for awhile.

Any ideas?
  2. Almost sounds like the problem's with the clutch slipping - might have the wrong oil in the engine.
  3. When you say 'it revs very before it starts moving' do you mean you let the clutch out all the way and keep revving it and it then begins to take off (clutch prob) or that unless you rev it hard it bogs/stalls when you let the clutch out? (possible mixture/blocked jet type prob)

Does it happen all the time? or only when you snap the throttle open quickly from stop?

Do you have a habit of slipping/riding the clutch a lot?
  4. If it's revving after you let the clutch out you have a buggered clutch or you are using the wrong oil, which has buggered the clutch.

Is it a cable clutch? If so you may be able to adjust it, in which case ignore that which I just wrote.
  5. Definitly sounds like a clutch problemo, have you checked the freeplay adjustment on the lever? should be 10 to 20 mm.
  6. Thanks for the replys. The bike doesn't stall at all. I'm fairly conservative with the clutch and throttle but the revs stay high until the bike actually starts to move off. Am going to pick the bike back up from the shop and give it a going over myself. They haven't found anything. The problem seemed worse for me after riding from Sydney through the Blue Mountains then to Orange.
  7. New oil might do the trick.....