Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VTR250 or Yamaha SR400?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by Jace_F, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Hey all,

Just after some sage advice from the knowing beings here....as you might have picked up I have been leaning towards the VTR, I have also come across the SR400 which I am told is learner legal. My question is, how do they compare? Whats the better learner option?

Thanks!

2. I've ridden both a fair bit.

Both are great bikes that will be really easy to ride. The VTR will pull better on the freeway, be quicker across the whole powerband and maybe even be a bit lighter in stock form.

The VTR is about 20 years more up to date than the SR. It's water cooled, revs quite well and will sit on the highway quite comfortably. The SR is a 30 year old (and then some) dirtbike engine. If you're into modifying bikes, servicing/hopping up engines yourself you'll struggle to find a better base than the SR. But if you're after something you can hop on and ride comfortable the VTR is better.

Actually, come to think of it, the VTR is just a better bit of kit. But if you're not in love with the older looks of the SR, go with the VTR.

3. Thanks for the info, I do like the look of the older bikes but but probably not sufficiently enough to sway me from the VTR.

Cheers!