Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VTR250 or SV650 as a commuter?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by tmoran90, Oct 22, 2015.

1. VTR250

2. SV650

1. Hey all,

I had a few questions that y'all might be able to help me out with. I'm currently in Seattle (USA) and I'll be moving to Byron Bay for a year at the beginning of November. From everything I've read I don't believe I'm restricted to LAMS bikes so if you guys have any suggestions please let me know. I'm going to be looking for a commuter bike. Something reliable, good gas mileage, comfortable, but has a bit of punch to it. At first I was looking into the CBR's because I've never had any major problems with a Honda and the little 250r had really appealing gas mileage. Then I saw the SV650. 20 more hp, cheaper, newer models have fuel injection, and it has a digital readout. Then, while on gumtree, I came across the VTR250. 30hp and 100mpg!!!!!! What is this little monster? There's got to be a catch. I won't be able to ride one till I arrive I want to know your thoughts. How are these two bikes to live with and is there another bike I should be considering?

Thanks everybody
  2. Ok My bad. Someone has been trolling the Wikipedia page for the vtr250 and it gets around 60 mpg not 100. I thought you Aussies had some secret bike you didn't want to share with the rest of the world. :cry:
  3. Both the SV and VTR are V-Twins, but the SV650 (from 2003 onwards) is a physically larger bike more suited to someone, say around 6' tall (I used to own a SV650S 2003 and replaced it with a 2005 model after it was written off). The Pre 2003 SV650 and the VTR250 are more suited to a person of shorter/slighter stature or a learner rider.

The SV650S is quite a good commuter bike, but from what I've head so is the VTR. It just depends what you're after...
  4. Lots of interesting hill rides around Byron, go with the horsepower.
  5. VTR250 is awsome in the city. For Byron I'd get a bigger bike. I ride a VTR250 daily in Sydney and it is fine.
  6. #6 Bjpitt, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
    It will be well worth finding out if you will be on LAMS license in NSW. You pay a premium on LAMS bikes here in Australia. But i'd go the SV650 for the Byron shire for sure! The VTR is a good bike, but lot's of rural roads inland of Mullumbimby and Bangalow that are well worth exploring and the 650 will better. Start with Coolamon Scenic Drive and get lost!
  7. Check this out. This link shows you how you might compare the ride to bikes you know. I didn't look at it closely, but the seat heights are similar, the riding position is much more upright on the Vt250

It's a useful tool to use before you go looking for a bike, if you already have an idea of what fits you, or if you want to consider a change. I have found it useful.

Motorcycle Ergonomics
  8. #8 Bogotron, Oct 24, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
    The Sv is heaps of fun !
    plenty of low end grunt.
    the power cuts out around 7k rpm and slowly tapers off but from 5-7k rpm is where its at and you can just shortshift your way up to speed with ease,smoke the cagers off the mark and she does alright on the freeway too with decent fuel economy. Put some sticky rubber on her and upgrade the suspension and youve got a super fun reliable lams bike
    If your feeling like you may want to do a track day you could purchase the fullpower ecu which would be cheap as chips for you to buy right now if your still in the states
    Just dont buy the Californian one as it causes the Fi light to constantly stay on
    Obviously i am biased towards this bike but for the $ to fun ratio its hard to beat plus you get that sweet vtwin rumble with an aftermarket pipe.
    Byron Bay is so awesome , your gonna love it there,
    Peace out , B.
    Heres a few pics of mine, prob be up for sale around december/january. 20150828_103601. 20150916_094315. 20151003_170642.
  9. I'm glad you brought this up. Will I be LAMS restricted even though I have my license in the states? I haven't been able to find any reliable info on this.
  10. I is my understanding that internationals are limited by the limits imposed on their licence issued in the country of origin. So if for example, your licence says you must wear spectacles, then you are expected to wear spectacles. An issue may arise where the officer looking at your licence may not understand the codes or symbols used on the licence. The "International licence" itself is not a licence at all, but an interpretation of the licence, which can really useful in countries where the language is not the same as that of the country of the licence of origin. Of dubious benefit in Oz for someone coming from an English speaking country.

My last International licence (to travel and drive in the USA) was not even issued by any statutory authority, rather the NRMA. It has no actual legal weight, and when I was stopped (routine check) the Highway Patrol officer looked at my NSW licence, the date of expiry and did not ask for any international licence, but did check the vehicle registration and insurance papers, "Enjoy your visit."

If your licence does not say that it is a limited licence, then you shouldn't be subject to a limit. However, if you apply for a licence in Oz, you might expect your first licence to be a Provisional licence. It varies from state to state and there is a limit to how long you can ride/drive on an overseas licence (6 months?)

Worth an enquiry.