Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VTR250 Not Starting

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by VTR250rider, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Hi guys, bit of a noob question here. Washed my 2000 VTR250 the other day (used a bit of degreaser which I have since learnt is not good) and then rode it the day after with no troubles. This morning went to start it and nothing happening when I push the starter button.

I have checked all fuses which are fine, all lights are working fine, killswitch is off, stand is up, choke is on. Still won't turnover. Tried push starting it and it spluttered, stopped and then started fine a second later. But then I turned it off and wouldn't start back up. Is this likely a battery problem? Any other ideas?

Thanks for your help.

2. Does the starter motor turn over or do you just hear a click when you press the starter button?

If you have a multimeter probe the battery connections. A well charged battery will have 12.5-13.2V.

3. I don't really hear anything. Maybe a really faint click but I'm not sure what I'm listening for. My housemate's a sparky so when he comes home I'll check out the battery and see how it's doing. Thanks for the reply.

4. A faint click kinda says that the starter switch is working and that you probably have a low battery. The whole bike wash thing may just be a coincidence.

5. Check out the battery connections and voltage, as well as wriggling the kill switch (the spring seems to weaken in time as happened on my bike).

Does it crank the motor qhen it doesnt start, or dim lights and no sound?

6. Ok I think I've fixed it. I took apart the killswitch terminal and fiddled around in there and the bike started up. Not sure if it was a problem with the started button connection or more likely the killswitch as you mentioned Harb. Regardless it's starting up fine now so thanks a lot for your suggestions!

• Like Like x 1
  7. If it continues being a problem tapping the killswitch can make it start again (or stall it if its on..). On mine i cleaned up the terminals, regreased the assembly and placed a piece of cardboard as a filler to strengthen the springs tension on the terminals while in the on position. Just be aware of the spring, ball bearing and potential to snap a piece of plastic.