Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VTR250 not starting

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Clutch in, Sep 25, 2011.

1. G'day, I'm new to the forum having just received my learners. Ive recently purchased a nice little '07 VTR250 from a second hand dealer in Melbourne, with only 5000km on the clock. However yesterday when it finally got delivered to my house, it had quite a bit of trouble starting. I tried both with choke on and choke off, made sure there was fuel, and when i eventually did get it running, it would not tick over without me holding on a bit of throttle. As soon as i let the throttle out, even after the engine was warm, the revs dropped below 1000 and it just stalled. This morning i read up about the idle adjustment screw and was going to try twisting that a bit after i got it started again, but it failed to start altogether!! Eventually i tried so many times that the battery drained, and even jump starting it didnt work. Any ideas what the problem may be?? I'm no mechanic, and only new to bikes, but i do have a solid understanding of how bikes work. Maybe something wrong with the spark plugs?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Cheers.
  2. If it was only delivered from the dealer yesterday, ring them up and get them to pick it back up, tell them it wouldn't start when it was delivered, and to service it.

If you start playing with it, changing screw settings and such, and you tell them what you have tried, they will come back at you with the argument that you have fucked it up.

If they are a reliable dealer, they should have no trouble fixing it for you.

Even though it's second hand, there is an assumption that the bike is in a usable condition....
  3. Yeah, i called them yesterday and they said they'd come and see it on monday, and take it back to the workshop to have a look. They gave me a one month warranty so they really have to fix it. I just hope this isnt a re-occuring problem, i mean i honestly didnt think i'd have too many problems with a 4 year old Honda, especially on the first day of me having it after they apparantly checked it over at their workshop before delivering it to me.
  4. Sorry to hear that mate, hopefully just something minor and youll be back with the baby soon.

PGriz aka SirG aka GrizIT - via Tapatalk
  5. In a similar situation myself, although maybe not quite as frustrating. Also just recently got my L's and picked up a great little '07 VTR. 21000 on the clock, full service history and a really nice helpful bloke who sold it to me. It was fine for the first 3 or 4 days after I got it but the past couple of days, when I got to start the engine cold it takes a good couple of minutes to get it going.

When i hit the start button the starter motor turns over and often it almost half starts for me but regardless of how much choke i do or don't have on, it just won't kick in. After a fw minutes of opening the throttle while hitting the starter eventually it kicks into life and then she's fine. If it's only been off for 10 minutes and I hit the switch she starts then too. It just seems that when she's cold it won't get going. After reading a couple of other threads could it be either the spark plugs or the fact that i'm using high octane 98 as opposed to regular? (The previous owner just used regular and never had a problem, aparently using 98 may hamper starting it up???)

I'm very much a newbie and don't know a lot about the inner workings either. Is this a common problem with the VTR250??
  6. my 07 vtr is up to 29000km and never skips a beat. they are reknowned to be reliable so i dunno