Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VTR250 not starting - newbie problem

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by tongnk, Oct 19, 2015.

Tags:
  1. I've done a search and found some similar threads but just wanting to confirm... (not mechanically inclined...)

Recently got my L's so been practising just going up and down the street practising with the clutch. I think I may have run the battery low as I kept going to the end of the road, switching ignition off then pushing the bike around (not comfortable doing a sharp u-turn yet on the bike).

Was working fine for a couple of days then today it decided to stop starting properly. The noise (crank???) the starter motor was making got quieter and quieter until all it does not is turn off the headlight and then back on with a kind of clicking noise but that's it.

Is this a low battery and I just need to charge it? If so, does anyone know of a portable battery or similar (don't have a garage sadly so have to park on the road)

Thanks,
    Nicm

2. Hi Nicm,
    That does sound very much like you have a flat battery.

The best solution would be to learn how to remove the battery so that you can carry into your house for a recharge. The owners manual should tell you how to do this and if the bike has a tool kit you will find all you need for the job. In any case very few tools are needed. Be careful to take careful note of which way to reinstall it.

After you have the battery out of the bike you will need to buy yourself a battery charger. Motorcycle batteries need a very small, low power charger. A big powerful charger will damage the battery. Aldi recently had an ideal charger on special which had a "motorcycle" setting or any bike shop, auto parts place or battery shop can advise you. Every bike owner probably needs to own a suitable charger and you will find it useful for many years of riding.

Short runs and many stops and starts will flatten the battery again. Try putting the bike in neutral instead of stopping the motor every time. Once you have a bit more confidence you will be going on longer runs and there will be less problem, but still it will be a good idea to put the battery on charger occasionally, specially if the bike if not used for more than a few days. Keeping the battery charged will make it last longer and save you money. The correct charger will have a special setting to "float" or maintain the charge.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Wise words. You should also get a mechanic to check your charging rate: being as the bike is a Honda it might have the incipient Honda regulator/rectifier woes...

4. Thanks Michael - it did the trick for me. Unfortunately though, I've managed to lose the bolt on one side.

Does anyone know of places where I can get the square nut from? I'm going to try bunnings but if anyone knows of somewhere better...

5. local bike shop? local battery shop?

6. ...and three point turns are also an option (obviously you have to walk it backwards, but with some planning gravity can help with that).