Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VTR250 not coming up to temperature on cold days - normal?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by cameronp, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Hi all,

A quick question for fellow VTR owners and/or people who have a better knowledge of watercooling than I do:

On cold days (sub 20C) the temperature gauge on my bike never comes up to the normal operating temperature line half-way between C and H. In warmer weather it's fine: starts easily with no choke, comes up to temperature quickly, and I've only seen it above the half-way marker once, when I was really flogging it on a hot day.

Anyway, I was wondering whether this was cause for concern (valve stuck open somewhere in the cooling system?) or just to be expected for a VTR with a tiny engine. It's been like this since I bought it last winter.
  2. Your saying it doesn't make it half way up the gauge? That's completely normal - the important thing is that it makes it past the "cold" marked in red at the bottom.
  3. Thanks mate. Yeah, it usually gets 1/4 - 1/3 up the gauge in cold weather. Just wanted to double-check because cars I've owned have always quickly warmed up to a constant operating temp and stayed there no matter what.
  4. The needle on mine behaves exactly as you described.
  5. Most bikes don't have a coolant bypass circuit in the cooling system so the temperature is less stable than in cars which often do. It's not a big deal unless you're regularly riding in REALLY cold weather (sub 5C) and you struggle to get the bike warm enough to run off the choke in which case you could install a bypass system. One I know of is called a "thermobob" and apparently works very well, but I really don't think it's necessary in your case.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Check that it actually has a thermostat fitted. Some people remove them believing it will stop their bike/car overheating.