Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VTR250 misfire / not running right..

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by AnotherMacca, Oct 22, 2006.

1. There's something wrong with the VTR.. :(

I was out chasing the 600's, and when I backed off, there was a weird vibration through the bike. I initially though it might be wheel bearings, so took it home gently, and put it in the shed to be looked at later.

I started it up this morning from cold (with choke) and it idled fine. When it had warmed up a bit, I killed the choke, and it continued to idle fine. I gave it some throttle, and it sort of bogged down, then backfired a few times through the exhaust, and then screamed like it normally does heading towards redline.

I'm thinking I'll change the plugs and leads first, but I'm also thinking that it might be timing. Anyone heard of a VTR having the timing go out of whack?

Just after some other thoughts before I pull it to bits.

2. standard checks.

plugs, air filter, fuel filter.

sounds like its starving somewhere, or a fouling plug

failing the above, start on timing and carbs :)
  3. It could be a stuck float needle.

They present a bit like this, because they are pumping too much petrol at low revs then at high revs the ploat lifts the needle and everything is fine.

giving it a blast with a good tank of petrol. Maybe even 98, if your bike doesn't mind it.

If that doesn't work, then you may have to pull the carbies off and clean the bottom end.

Before you do that check plugs and leads as described above.
  4. I think you hit the nail ibast..

Took it for a squirt today, 2 tanks of 98 and a capful of metho later and it seems better. I would say it was a bad tank of fuel, but everyone else that filled up with me at the same time had no problems. Still has a bit of hesitation, but nowhere near as bad as it was. (Thanks to Pnut, Roarin, Blade & Faye for allowing me to sit on the throttlestop for a few hours.. :roll: :LOL: )

Time for a service & tune methinks..
  5. The bloody thing probably needs a rest the way you ride it! :p ...I mean who likes getting out of bed for a good kicking...I would protest too :grin:

6. SHUUDUUUP :LOL: :LOL: :moped: <-------Rough catarse :LOL: :LOL:
  7. putting along on my scooter I'll still carve you up like Christmas Turkey :rofl: :biker: