Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VTR250 -- is it the answer?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Cormac_2008_flyingpig, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Hi,

I've introduced myself here before. Mature aged scooter rider in Sydney, full rider's licence, but not much experience on manual bikes since pre-Learner's course.

Just wondering, will a VTR250 be faster & better performing than the auto scooter I am currently riding? This scooter does 0-100 in approx 7 or 8 secs & has top speed of about 160kmh....So it's a pretty good scooter, but I want even more power...

I have full licence so am not restricted to LAMS bikes, but thinking that, in moving to a manual bike, I might find the transition easier & be less likely to drop it if it is very light like the VTR. Maybe I should buy an old CB250 instead, since I hope not to keep it very long before upgrading to a new 650cc such as the Kawasaki Er6 or even the Triumph Street Triple if I can scrape the money together.

Have investigated doing a refresher type course with HART & StayUpright, hiring a bike. But it's pricey -- around $170 for just one hour.

Have also considered hiring an old 250cc for a week, which comes to about $450, but wondering if a week will provide enough time to master clutch/gear shifting.

So is a VTR250 the answer? Any advice. Thanks
  2. VTR 250 -- Is it the answer?

Did I mention that I look like Jessica Alba & I am sitting here wearing nothing but a bikini?

Just in case this encourages a few replies.
  3. VTR250 is pretty much the same...about 6-7sec 0-100 km/h...but you will get plenty of clutch/gear changing practice.
    If you are not limited to LAMS get yourself SV650 and just take it easy while learning.
  4. Just grab a lower capacity non LAMS bike, sports tourer or something.

No point in spending alot on a LAMS bike if you want more power and are fully licenced, you'll get used to the gears soon enough then wish you had more power.
  5. I was in exactly the same position and did get an SV650 but it wasn't really for me. Ended up then getting a GS500 even though I was on an unrestricted licence and found it a really good introduction to a manual bike.

Given you are in Sydney rather than doing a refresher course I used a local guy and got some private lessons from memory it was about $300 for four hours. If you like I can give you the details, PM me.

My advice would be get one of the larger bikes that you like (particularly if you are comfortable with the riding position as this was a problem for me with SV - too ass up coming from a scooter) and get few hours with a private instructor 1000 times better than a group class/course. VTR250 is a great bike but in reality not all that much different in terms of performance to a 250cc scooter.
  6. In my opinion (having just sold a VTR after 9 months, 7 with license, 2 of license disqualification), you will be bored sh*tless on a VTR in 6 months (assuming you clock up a few kms). I started riding with only some road experience on a 150cc scooter and some off road riding on smaller 2 and 4 stroke trail bikes. 12,xxx kms in 6 months and I was bored of it. That's not to say that I'm the best rider in the world, you will be learning new things for as long as you ride, but 12,xxxkms was more than enough on a 4 stroke 250.

My opinion and my suggestion to you would be this - find the bike you ultimately think you'll want to ride (whether it be a motard, a race bike or a naked or whatever) and that is within your price range and get it. Even if it means a 600cc inline 4, or a 1000cc twin or 4, or whatever you choose.

My reason is this - a bike only has as many ponies as you dial on. A R1 only produces 170+ horsepower at 13000rpm (or wherever it is in the rev range that it generates peak horsepower). At 3000rpm its only producing 30, the same that the VTR will be struggling to produce when you're r@ping it every gear change to get some enjoyment from it.

If you get the VTR, you'll get bored and then have to go through the process of selling it and upgrading which is expensive when you factor in the cost of a bike sales add, transfer duty that you paid on the VTR and that you will again pay on your new bike, depreciation on the VTR (kms and time) and not to mention the time-wasting phone calls from people who aren't really going to buy your bike but want to offend you with a unreasonably low offer and confirm with you what colour it actually is even though the pictures on the add are clear as crystal. Not to mention the fact that all LAMS bikes are drastically over priced.

If you get the bigger bike, you can take it as easy as you like for as long as you like based on how you tell your right hand to dial on the gas. In 6 months when you're full of confidence you won't need to upgrade because you will already be on the bike you want. You will live happily ever after and eventually own several bikes :LOL: .
  7. Re: VTR 250 -- Is it the answer?

By the way, what's your phone number? If you often sit at home in a bikini and look like Jessica Alba I will drop in and say hi next time I'm in Sydney for work :roll:.
  8. A race replica litter bike (or 600cc) isn't something that you want to learn clutch and throttle control on it. Do a simple stupid mistake on a superbike and it'll bite back in no time.
  9. I’d say go an SV650, an ER500, a GS500 or the like. (Or the faired versions if that is what you prefer)
    Physically they are only marginally bigger, but you get better suspension and brakes… Oh yeah and more grunt.
  10. +1 Falconlord

11. dunno, what's the question?
  12. Dp

Thanks, Dp. I've actually been researching bikes that include the SV650. Nice to know that you recommend it to a relative newcomer like me.
  13. Mitchkip

Hi Mitchkip,

Yes, that's what I was worried about -- spending between $5 - $8000 on a 250cc & quickly finding that it is not really much quicker than my Scarabeo.

Thanks for your vote of confidence, too -- your belief that I will soon get used to gears !
  14. Robbie55

It's so good to know I'm not the only one to have contemplated making this transition, Robbie. Your private instructor sounds like a good idea. Did you practise on his bike or had you already bought your own by then?
  15. Luckyluke

How did you lose your licence (twice)? Or should I not ask?!

I appreciate your advice. I like the financial logic of what you say. I guess the main reason I considered a VTR to begin with was just its light weight. I was thinking that if it only weighs 140kg or so, then I'd be less likely to drop it when stalling it in the early days. But maybe an extra 30kg (as the SV650 seems to be) isn't all that much more to hold up.

I've sat on a few 650cc bikes recently & what struck me most, coming from a scooter, is the different weight distribution. My current scooter is 189kg but it feels lighter than similar size bikes because the weight is more underneath me, down low, as opposed to having the fuel tank up round chest level.

Thanks for giving me permission to start thinking seriously about a dream bike -- whatever it ends up being !
  16. AlexEm

Hi Alex,

I definitely wouldn't go for that sort of race rocket. I am drawn more towards the V twins & parallel twins.
  17. Falcon-Lord

Thanks for the advice, Falcon-Lord.

If you recommend the SV650, would you put the Kawasaki Er6 in that same group of user-friendly bikes? And do you prefer the old styled SV650 or the new Suzuki Gladius? (Some people rave about the Gladius'engine but a lot of reviews I've read say that it looks like a gaudy fashion accessory.)
  18. Re: VTR 250 -- Is it the answer?

Join the queue!

Now, must be off to try on those new thigh-high leather boots ...
  19. I think he said he's middle aged some where in his original post? Or in his 30s? I suspect that he will be wise enough to know his own limitations and take it easy. And at the end of the day, make a mistake on any bike and you may well eat the asphalt.

I don't think the possibility of crashing is reason enough to buy a sewing machine that you will hate after 12 weeks. Again, in my humble opinion, I'd go for what you really want.

Just my 2 cents.

Can you please post up some pictures of you in those thigh-high leather boots and nothing else? Maybe some of you sitting on your shiny new Ducati :cool:

Re my loss of license, it was a big misunderstanding between myself and a fine upstanding police officer who was out there shedding sweat blood and tears to be part of that respectable thin (sometimes not so thin) blue line that stands between us mere mortals and anarchy... :roll:
  20. Re: Falcon-Lord

Yep. ER6, KLE500, blah blah blah...
    the list goes on.
    Basically what I am describing is a bike that is not tuned to within an inch of its life, so that it has some lazy power without a screaming top end.
    At the end of the day it is your call, but from your description it sounds like any of these will fill your needs…
    I Say it is test ride time for you.