Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VTR250 indicator replacement problem - LED.

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by jellikit, Oct 15, 2008.

1. So,

I came off my bike a few months ago, ripped off the right hand indicators.

Instead of paying $80+ for genuine indicators, I thought I'd spend $50 and upgrade them all to LED.

Now, here comes the problem. LED are 2 wire (so no problem with rear) front on the bike are three wire.

After reading around, I thought it would be a good idea to just not use the running light's therefore snipped that wire and closed it off. All good so far, indicators work when turning right. Turning left with the LEDS on right, originals on left made all my indicators work.

Thinking this was a problem with the running light in the front connected, the next step was to replace all indicators with the LEDs.

What this ended up doing, was giving me NO indicators at all. No flashing, no running.

After mucking around, the only way I got things happening, was original 3 wire globes ont eh front, LED on the rear.

This isnt the way I'd like things, does anyone know what's gone wrong?

PS: I haven't added new wires to the indicators, only cut the original wires at the end.

2. genuine indicators are about $10 at the wreckers, you just have to find a pair out of the box.
  3. Maybe the LED's don't draw enough current to trigger the flasher unit.
  4. where can you get indicators for $10?
    i got quoted 45 to replace mine. :?