Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VTR250 + Huge Human=??

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by wedge, Aug 20, 2006.

1. So i'm in the process of selling my car, doing my licence in 4 weeks and looking for that special bike to begin my journeys :grin: .
    From my research looking at bike reliability, maintence, etc,
    Ive narrowed it down to two bikes; the VTR250 and the ZZR250, ive had the chance sit on the ZZR but not the VTR and i need a bit of advice from some other tall riders on the VTR as this would be my bike of choice.
    As i am a huuge human at 6'7" i know i'll dwarf any 250 or 600 for that matter :LOL: but still, any feedback on the VTR would be apprecited.
    Cheers :)

2. Hi there wedge, Im 6 ft 4 and i find the VTR ok, Its a little bit taller than the ZZR. The ZZR is 760
    and the VTR is 780.
  3. Thanks Pete, yeah noticed that and ive only read or heard good things about the VTR's.
    Do the VTR's have an adjustable rear suspension???
  4. Mate, forget 250's, you have LAMS! Honestly, a 250 is not the best thing for the central coast, they are fine around town, but on the highway........
    The Hyosung 650 would be on my list if buying new for sure. Second hand, I'd go a Z 650 again in a heartbeat.

Regards, Andrew.
  5. Yeah i'll be buying second hand, the budget is restricted though.
    I also fit well on the GS500F, but again the price goes up...
    Thanks for the info though Andrew
  6. Circus Clown :)

I'm also 6'7" and found the ZZR perfectly comfortable when I was in my early 20's. My mate's VTR is also not too bad although my hips did cramp up the first time I rode it - I'll put that down to being in my 30's now though. :wink: I've since ridden it another half a dozen times and it's fine.

That said, take advantage of LAMs mate - buy something bigger!!!
  7. Yeah sorry, diddnt realise you are in NSW, go the LAMS bike.
  8. Cheers for all the advice guys, i know a LAMS bike would an option, but i only want the 250 for my provisional period then upgrade to something bigger :wink: , id rather save the cash on a smaller bike and then upgrade sooner.
    I would really like to know if the VTR250 has adjustable rear suspension, and from what model it starts from?
    Cheers, Karl
  9. mate, in the workshop manual it says nothing about provision for adjustment, but i went out and had a squiz at mine and it does seem you can adjust the rear spring. i wouldnt be adjusting it too much but because the fronts need new springs if you want it to be really firmer. i weigh about 80 and i dont find the soft suspension a problem, but ive never really been on anything else so i cant really give a good opinion on that. but dont play around with that shit unless you know what you're doing.
    i'm ganna jump on the band wagon here and say going for something bigger than a 250. ive got a mate from the coast, he's about 6,5 ft and has an XR400, he swears by it. they have a much higher seat height, similar power to vtr, a bit thirstier obviously. and you'll probably find an XR alot cheaper up there than a vtr, at least that was the situation when i was last going through the trading post. they are an air cooled single aswell, less can go wrong with them. if you've got a moral objection to using a trail bike on the road, like some people have, that limits your options somewhat.
    hope that helps.
  10. Your going to need some serious adjustment so it's not a killer on the wrists. Leaning so far forward will get tireing on the wrists pretty quick.

Go to your local harley dealer and get a set of ape hangers? They won't fit straight on so just use a couple of cable ties and gaffa tape.

Being so big I'd go for something very cruisey to try and get you sitting up a bit straighter cause it ain the go for long rides leaning right forward.