Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VTR250 Gear selection shift problem?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Langers, Aug 6, 2006.

1. I've recently test rode an 03 VTR250 of which is a great bike although one probelem or I think may be a problem is that the gear (up shift) from 4th to 5th is not solid at all? You can hear an audible sound and feel a solid shift in all the other gears, 1st to 4th, although when selecting 5th it feels like the shift / gears have not engaged although upon letting out the clutch it is in gear 95% of the time.

The same has been experianced with up shifts from 3rd to 4th, not solid shifts

Has anyone experianced the same.

Thanks in advance
  2. I didn't notice anything unusual about the upper gears on mine (had since 700ks, now at 4200) except the change from first to second becoming smoother- have you asked the dealer?
  3. The dealer said they "we don't have problems with them, they are great bikes" and the service people stated "it should get better with the new oil, not the cheap stuff.

If your gears feel the same in the up shift through all of them , then I probably have a selector problem that no one want to admit to and hope that it goes away?
    It being me.

Thank you for your comment
  4. The only gear problems I've had with my bike which I picked up in Feb with 36k on it and it now has 42k is getting it into second occasionally after taking off (neutral comes up instead) but that could be me being too gentle when going from first to second.

The other problem is finding neutral when stationery. This could be just my ignorance again. I;ve found that if I let the clutch out slowly whilst stationery and when I hear/feel the click then I squeeze the clutch, I can change the gear . This works up or down. The trick is to let the clutch out - this seems to change the gear - you can't simply keep kicking it down but as soon as you hear the click you have to squeeze the clutch or you'll take off/stall.
  5. Never had that problem with mine.
    I have 18000km on it now and its still shifting the same as when I bought it at 7000km.

I do sometimes experience what duncan goes through when going from 1st to 2nd, sometimes it goes into neutral, I just blame it on not putting enough force onto it as it only happens once in a while.