Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VTR250 - Fuel Consumption

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by gato, Dec 8, 2005.

1. i have a question on fuel efficiency:
    how much can you get out of a full tank on your VTR250?

excluding reserve, i have been getting 200km+ (when it gets to 200km i head for the petrol station). that works out to about... 5.5l per 100km.

is that normal for a bike?
  2. topic has been discussed somewhere else on here .....

I get 260 plus without getting to reserve on ultra premium
  3. I get about 270km b4 reserve
  4. seems like i'm getting way below what you guys are getting! could it be the aftermarket exhaust?

ok i'll go read that thread :oops:

5. Ummmm. If you head to the petrol station when it gets to 200Km, how do you know that you wouldn't get more if you leave it until the reserve kicks in?
  6. I get almost 300 ks on my vtr before i hit reserve give or take depending on weather its long trip riding or round town start / stop riding ( BP Ultimate ), And i have an aftermarket exhaust !
  7. i ran out of fuel twice, both times on the monash freeway. the 1st time the gauge did 444++km - i had not reset it from the time i picked it up. 2nd time it happened, it was at 200+km. switched to reserve and headed for a servo. i think by the time i got to the pump, the bike had gone.. 220km. i don't know how much more i can get out of the bike but i didn't want to risk it.

i have been told that the bike should be getting better mileage than this. reading that other thread, it seems to be the case.
  8. Ahhhh. so you had switched to reserve b4 heading to the servo.
    Sorry, that wasn't clear b4.

Maybe you are not putting much fuel in?
    How many litres did it take when the milage showed ~220km?

I reckon it should have taken about 11L
  9. hmm... stopped filling once the pump clicks off. i think i put in about 12L then.

220km for 12L isn't great mileage right? that's... 5.5L/100km.

i wonder if i should take it to a mechanic for a full check.
  10. Hi,

I get about 240km on Premium fuel. At 240km, looking inside the tank, you can just see some fuel on either side of the tank-bottom, to give you and idea of how empty it is. I ride fairly high-rev also, generally up close to redline each change.

I put around 11L in when I re-fuel. So, does this mean I get 240km/11L? who knows??

However, mine is a 2005 model, and serviced regularly. They are difficult bikes to tune (I hear). Mine gets serviced at Honda (probably getting ripped off though :))