Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VTR250 Dual exhaust mod

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by Marick, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Hey guys,

Just looking at the process of modifying a 2006 VTR250 to dual exhaust. I currently have two stock exhausts and have seen VTRs that have been convereted to a dual system. Just wondering if anyone has done it or might know where I can get some info on how to go about it.

Cheers,

Mark

2. #2 Marx, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
    stock exhausts are pretty heavy. Having two does seem like a step backwards.
    Maybe 2x half cans instead, as in cut really short might work & be an acoustic enhancement?
    Although I think stock cans are camber type as apart from straight-through-perforated core type, which is what alot of the nice cans are like.

Oh yeah Ducati have some science in their exhaust pipe length & cross-connection (before it gets to the 'silencer') to give that enhanced twin sound, so you might go 2x cans & suddenly discover it sounds more like 2x singles than a deep resonance of a twin.

3. Sounds like a huge waste of time and money, IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Yeh, definitely not going to do this with twin stock exhausts. As Ive got a full second stock exhaust I might be able to butcher the two exhausts together, and by butcher I mean lovingly cut and weld.

These are two vids on Youtube of twin exhuast VTR250s.

5. That seems to be a speculative statement to make. Being subjective it is only relative to how a person defines what is a waste of time and a waste of money, where both of these assets may be quantifiable and possibly in short supply. Considering that I might assume that you have both time and money to waste as your personal productivity would not appear to be improved by your posting, nor would you be concerned about your internet expenditure as you are willing to exhaust expensive data on trivialities.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Still sounds like a 250.....

• Like Like x 1
  7. Honestly its a token project. Ive got an entire second 06 VTR250 in some old packing boxes and storage containers that I would like to mess around with, or rebuild if I can get my hands on a frame. If the dual exhaust was a relatively straight forward mod Id probably go ahead with it but if theres 'technical' knowhow needed then I'll leave it.

8. #8 Rainbow7, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
    An overly-verbose, poorly worded response. - Perhaps you don't know what "IMO" stands for?
    I also suspect that the irony inherent to your first sentence is lost on you.

9. The only thing I can report about this type of mod is that some VTR250 owners have reported power loss from putting these less restrictive pipes on. Realistically, unless your going to tune it for the pipe you will need to expect some +/- gains.

10. TLDR, but thanks for dropping by.

11. The mods above are functional however Ive also seen the second pipe added as purely a cosmetic addition. Though Id prefer not to to the extent of doing the work solely for looks.

I'll come back to this mod if I can find some more info on how to go about it. For now I'll just look at getting the second VTR back to the semblance of a bike.

Thanks again.

12. The second guy would have been better off spending the money on a new tyre, then done some work on his CS's.

13. This is a great idea. Love the VTR250 - top bike.
    I actually saw one today in Brisbane CBD with this mod - looked great.

Attached Files:

14. sounds great!