Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

vtr250 died while riding - Solved: Regulator

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by mewnz, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Back again :grin:

Bought a new battery on friday, put it in on saturday, rode around for about an hour.

Today (tuesday) went for a ride this morning, everything was fine. Went back out in the afternoon, started first go, got moving, came back in around the block and as I was slowing down for the corner, it died. Lights off, everything dead. This is within 5minutes of starting. I still had a little bit of choke on, if that matters? No longer starts, no lights nothing.

I checked the battery and everything is connected. No idea what could be wrong, any help is appreciated.

2. New battery, take it for a longer ride next time to allow it to charge up maybe?

Sounds like it to me. Could be another few things, but sounds likely to me.
  3. yeah but a bike shouldnt just die, once its going and warm, Quarter.
    assuming the VTR is mechanically fine, ie not a POS, once its been running for 5min its warm enough to keep itself running, even if the battery is deeeead flat.
    thus, the battery didnt make the bike die, something else did. fugged if i know what else did though.

what condition is the bike in?
    plenty of fuel, fuel cock on, etc?
    didnt knock the killswitch like i did once? :p
    other than the obvious answers, i dont like the sound of it, coz im thinking its more than just a flat battery...

let us know how it goes,
    Nibs :)
  4. I would gladly take it for a longer ride but it won't start :(

I've read it might be the regulator? I don't know what that is.

Edit: Didn't see your post till after I hit reply, Nibor.

First thing I did was pop open the tank and check, still heaps left. Killswitch was fine, fuel taps good... the bike looks to be in good nick, but I'm not mechanically minded so I couldn't honestly say. The guy I bought it off rode it down from Newcastle for me, I took that as it being rideable at the least.

I don't mind if it has some niggling problems, keen to learn about the bike. But I'd also like to ride it :LOL:
  5. Sounds like the regulator/stator comp. If it fails to charge your battery, after a few hours your dash lights go out and the engine dies.

Very common honda problem. As far as I know, you will have to take it to a honda dealer who can establish exactly what the faulty component in the charging circuit is, though other folks might have better suggestions...
  6. yeah could be the regulator/rectifier.
    heard theyre expensive to replace :?
    thought that might be the case with mine, but it was just a flat battery, i bought a new one and a trickle charger, was all good.
    suggest no matter what it is, you buy a trickle charger/battery conditioner,
    so if ever its flat you can charge it, and keeps it in good nick.
    comes in handy situations like these :p
    do you know how to pushstart?
    go give her a pushstart, im hoping u live on some slopes!
    bike in second, clutch in, choke off unless she's real cold then maybe half.
    push as fast as u can, preferably get a mate to push from behind so u can be on and waddling along.
    once at speed, drop the clutch and hit the starter motor, and give er a little throttle.
    should do the trick if everything except the battery is working.

if this isnt working then its something other than the battery :?
  7. It was sitting a few days in between the ride on saturday on this morning, that's the reason I'm hoping its something simple and easy to fix. I'd have thought if the battery was going to go flat it would have done it over those couple days, rather than the 2 hours it was sitting between starts today?

Thanks for all the help so far everyone.

Edit: You and you're ninja posts Nibor. I'll look into getting a trickle charger tomorrow, and a voltmeter if they arn't too expensive. I don't know how to pushstart, but I might give it a go tomorrow.
  8. how long was the ride u went for this morning?
  9. About 40 minutes to an hour, somewhere in there. Still getting used to getting off quicksmart from a standstill so just around the block, 3rd gear for the most part, around 5-6k rpm with some emergency stop practise thrown in. (Don't know if any of that's relevant, I'd heard it had to be above a certain rpm to start charging the battery)
  10. can you get the bike down to the local mechanic on a trailer or something?
    get them to test both the battery, and the regulator/stator/rectifier.
    hopefully its as simple as one of these, preferably the first.
    otherwise it might be somewhere in some of the circuit/wiring, i dont know enough te be honest.

as i said, try pushstarting if you can, get a mate who knows a bit round to have a geez, or just take it to your mechanic.

that, and PM TrevorG. he knows his VTRs inside out :)
  11. I don't know nothing about VTRs, but the basic idea is...

1. Your spinning engine turns a rotor, which sits inside a set of windings known as the STATOR.
    2. The rotation causes the stator to produce voltage (AC).
    3. The voltage passes through the REGULATOR/RECTIFIER (Will be one single unit) which converts the electricity to DC to charge the battery.

Assuming it's NOT the battery, you ought to be getting 12-14.5v DC as a supply to the battery with the engine running, and it should go up a little as you increase the revs.

You can either source the parts, get a manual and DIY, or go to a dealer depending how wealthy, lazy, keen to investigate you may be. Good luck.
  12. Did you charge the new battery correctly the first time? You're supposed to charge it for up to 24 hours, at a slower rate than normal, before it goes in the bike.

It *could* be a reg/rectifier problem, it's certainly worth getting it checked as the Honda ones are renowned for being shit.
  13. The bloke at the counter just said to take it for a ride for 30min or so, which I did. I'll get a trickle charger tomorrow hopefully, see how that goes. Also pm'd TrevorG :)

Fingers crossed the charger solves it!
  14. WTF????

The first charge of a new battery is vitally important... It'll tell you so in the instructions that come with a new battery. Riding it around for 30 minutes is not a proper first charge!
  15. That's what I thought - until it happened on my old dirtbike! Ah well, stranger things have happened.

And I'm with Loz. Half an hour isn't a proper charge. Take it out for a good blat for a few hours. Can't be too certain.
  16. You need to trickle charge it slowly over a period of 24 hours. And from what I understand, you need to do it immediately after the battery is first assembled.
  17. That not being an option, would it be better if I took it out until I have the trickle charger?
  18. I reckon yeah. Get a charger that allows you to charge it slowly. I wouldn't be surprised if you need a new battery soon - but I wouldn't be surprised if it works fine either.
  19. lol Loz then im screwed. coz i dont think i took mine for a big ride when i bought the new battery, i just took her for a lil run to make sure she's working fine, then chucked the trickle charge on.
    seemed to work fine, for what little i owned the bike thereafter :LOL:

it was a damn side better that the POS battery i had before, which after a full charge on the trickler, went dead flat in under 20secs of ignition.

i dont think disconnecting the batery should have any effect, Mewnz. but if you can buy a trickle charger tomorrow, and rig it up to the bike/battery, and let her charge for the next 24 hours or until it says its properly charged, hopefully this might fix your problem.

if the bike doesnt start then, then u know its not to do with the battery.
    if it does start, but dies later on, without using the trickle charge, u know its a stator or reg/rec issue, and can fix that.
    if it does start, and continue to work fine, uve fixed your problem! :grin:
  20. Loz, I don't think that's such a problem anymore. It might have an effect on the long term life of the battery, but certainly wouldn't cause a battery to die over a weekend.

Modern bike systems, even the VTR are very dependent on there being power to the ignition system. A failed regulator/rectifier will mean that there is little or no power going to the various systems. Once the battery is drained flat, the bike will run poorly or just stop.

It happened with my Blade and my Tuono. Although in those cases, with an EFI bike I lost power to the fuel pump as well.