Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VTR250 chain life expectancy *update, pics now include*

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by twisties, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Hey peeps. I've been having trouble with the tencion on my chain. Every time I adjust it, it seems loose again after a day's commute. I've noted where it's sitting each time and it hasn't moved at all. The adjustment markings are now into the red.

Bike:

Honda VTR250
    Had 8300k's when I bought it 3 months ago, now has 15500k's approx and most of it is commuting.
    Not sure about previous owners treatment of the chain but I lube it once or twice a each week. (I haven't gotten round to cleaning it yet).

For what it's worth I am quite throttle happy and usually not content with plodding away from traffic lights. (and I'm not ashamed to say it :p)

The previous owner had it since new and averaged obviously 1000k's a year and as a result, I doubt it's ever been replaced.

What's the typical life expectancy of a standard VTR250 chain?
    Reckon I'm up for a new one? (Also a rough price if anyone knows)

Cheers in advance :D

2. Well your chain is shot for a start. I'm betting one or both of the sprockets are cactus too.

Is the front smaller than standard? that can contribute to adverse wear.

Also check the alignment of the rear sprocket. Don't trust the marks on the swingarm. If the sprocket is askew then it will chew the chain at a great rate of knots.

3. I'm not sure what size standard is but I dare say the previous owner hadn't changed much. And from the speed/gear tables i've seen for the vtr, it's pretty spot on for standard.

I'll have a closer look at the sprockets tonight before I go to work and check the tension again.

From what I can tell they look to be in ok condition but I'm not exactly a genius.

Perhaps some piccies could help :) I'll get the camera out tonight too.

4. mm sounds liek the chain is shot. hopefully u can salvage the sprockets. but it might be best to replace the lot, then from there you can jsut maintain it yourself, properly, and i dont see why you couldnt get 50,000km from a set.
    speaking of which i tihnk i needa tension my chain...

5. Damn night shift, finally got some time this afternoon to take some pics. And from what I can tell, a chain shouldn't be that dirty (not gonna bother cleaning it now if I'm gonna buy a new one)

First image is just an overall view
    aV1a6K19.

This is measuring from the bottom of the chain when it's hanging. I only adjusted this back to the owner manual suggested 2.5cm yesterday.
    gxzG53J.

a closer look at the rear sprocket
    Pq1ecmr9.

The adjustment markings. You can see how much it's been moved since I bought it 3 months/7500k's ago
    aV1a7hX9.

6. Lol, The missing bolt was taken out just before the pic in an attempt to remove the guard for a better picture but I was in a hurry and couldn't fit a spanner down beside the second bolt. It's back on now and holding my rego :]

Can anyone name a reputable mechanic on the west side of melbourne?
    And for that matter, price estimations for replacing chain and sprockets?

7. Spanner night.

8. You've still got a fair bit of adjustment left.

That rear sprocket is still serviceable, though not great. It makes me think the front is worse.

The cleanliness of the chain may indicate you have dirt within the linkages, which would explain the rapid deterioration. Then again they tend to follow this type of behavior towards the end of their life anyway.

The ideal situation is to replace both sprockets and the chain. If cash is tight or you are not keeping the bike for the long term, then you could possibly leave off the rear sprocket replacement, but it may cost you on resale value anyway.

9. Money isn't an issue, especially with the month of night shift I'm on at the moment lol. I'm quite happy to replace the whole set.

I don't think I have a spanner or socket to get the cover off the front sprocket to check it's condition either.

10. go buy a new rear sprocket and chain then, and a socket set.
    then you can take off the front sprocket cover, inspect the sprocket after you clean out all the gunk that i guarantee will be there, and possibly purchase a new front sprocket.

then post up in the EOI folder about a spanner night in sydney, or find one already running. get someone to help you replace the sprockets/chain, means the money you save in labour will almost pay for the parts, and you and others learn something :)

11. Thanks for the help :)

Maybe I should alter my location information... Melton is west of melbourne :p

I'll try find some time on saturday if not earlier to purchase the stuff.
    Sunday is my P's course :D

12. I did mine last weekend, generic steel sprockets were $90 and the D.I.D O ring chain was about $110.
    I had a crack at changing them over myself (still alive :) ) but i think if you took it took a mechanic it'd probably take around an hour ($80) or so.

...that $80 would probably be better spent on a socket set..

13. This is something that I want to do myself when I need to.
    Just wondering what tools would be needed?
    I know a decent socket set is in order, but what else?

14. get yourself some degreaser and a rag, chances are it will be a complete mess from all the crap flying off your chain. Also check what kind of chain is in the bike, if it doesnt have a clip you will probably need a grinder.

15. Socket set, spanners, large shifter, allan keys and some pliers for the clip on the joining link should get it sorted.

...and an angle grinder & flat screwdriver* for dodgy bros chain breaking :)

*may also require hammer and block of timber

16. I'm off on uni holidays at the moment, if you want to come out east, can help you do it in an hour or two (even have a chain breaker... for $40-50, for a machined and riveted tool, you can't go wrong). Got the tool shop going at the moment. (Where's VTRBob at the moment to get free advice on relief valves for hydraulic control systems... F*cking o-rings...)

17. I'm getting new front/rear sprockets plus a D.I.D chain put on for $270 including labour. Can't wait, hopefully it gets ride of the low speed jerkiness.

18. oh the humanity of a chain so dirty... please dont post such vulgar images again..
    [-X

19. Found another socket set floating around the garage and got the front sprocket cover off and it's starting to look like a blunt'ish ninja star lol.