Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VTR250 Caliper Bolts

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' at netrider.net.au started by Spart106, Apr 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Hey Forum!
    I just cleaned and replaced front and rear brakes on my 2001 vtr250. However the cap screw things that covers the hanger bolts that hold the pads in on both calipers was badly damaged to the point I had to drill both out.

The hanger bolt is fine, however the cap screw that covers the bolts is damaged, how important is that screw?

2. You don't need the cap screw !!
    A lot of bikes don't have them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Thank you! I just was nervous as I dont want them to fall off :)

4. it's there to prevent the actual bolt from getting corroded and stuck.

you could cut a piece of soft plastic and wedge it in there, to provide same function (heck, even Blutac would probably work)

5. Or you could just apply some anti seizing goo to the thread of the calliper bolt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. that will help, but if the head of the bolt rusts so the allen key no longer fits or strips, your outta luck.
    maybe a chunk of rubber from an old radiator hose or similar would be ideal? something thick and not too squidgy?

could also put a little grease in the hex hole of the bolt (to stop silicone sticking in there), then fill the rest with a blob of silicone. should keep water out until the next pad change

7. Thanks for all the advice! I will plug the hole with something, I found a bolt that I cut down to fit in. Thanks everyone!

8. or you could just go down to the local bolt bar and get replacement cap screws......they are nothing special.

On replacement, a little anti-seize grease on installation is the go.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ahh good to know, thank you so much :)