Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VTR250 2001 Noise 5th Gear

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by Spart106, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Hey Forum,
    I put my motorcycle in 5th gear today for the first time at 90-100kph. I noticed a different almost high pitched noise coming from the bike.

I think it might just have been the clutch slipping or something as 90-100 is a bit slow for 5th gear as revs where low.

I didnt try it faster as still on Ls and it was on the freeway.

Is this what it could be? What else could it be? How can I diagnose?

2. Could be all sorts of things from noisy gearbox to tyre noise.
  3. could it have been the wind rushing past you as you let out a loud 'weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee' inside your helmet?
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. I try not to wee inside my helmet.
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. I've got a pair of goggles on order for just such an occasion
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Hahhahaha you guys always make me smile :).

Ill try it again at a higher speed and take it to my local Honda dealer :).
  7. VTR250 100 in 5th is around 7500 RPM from memory.

Top speed in 3rd is 100 at 10500RPM before the power starts to fall off, so it's ideal for freeway on-ramps.

There is bugger all difference between 4th and 5th, maybe 500-1000 RPM.

If you think it's helmet noise, try in the other direction (i.e. if heading east then head west), the prevailing wind will then have a different apparent speed past your helmet so the pitch of the noise will change.
  8. Ahhh I see, I might have just been too low revs. When in 4th it didnt make any noise, but 5th it did, so its from the gear box as it only happens in 5th.

Is there anything I can take apart to examine?

I think I may just have been too low revs as I am on my Ls and still getting used to reving louder and more than my ford focus does :).
  9. I forgot that your 2001 won't have a tacho.

Have a look at these graphs, they show power/torque and RPM. You can see the best place to keep it is between 4000 and 10000 RPM as the torque is fairly available there.

That means if you're <60km/hr then you should probably be in 3rd gear. 4th is lugging it a bit if you need sudden acceleration to get you out of danger.

You can take apart the gearbox but it's complicated inside. I wouldn't attempt it myself. Can you get a bike mechanic to take a look? I can't really help with the noise as I'm not that experienced mechanically. I can manage a fluid change but that's about it.

Y Axis - Power (blue kW) Torque (red Nm)
    X Axis - RPM

Y Axis - Speed (km/hr)
    X Axis - RPM
    Each series is a gear.
    It's a bit inaccurate as it was reverse engineered from gear ratios, assumed wheel diameters and sprocket sizes. I think mine is about 5km/hr lower (indicated) than what's on that graph
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Those graphs look great! Thank you! I will use those graphs and try again, then if it still happens I have a Honda mechanic two mins away where I will take jt.
  11. How many k's does it have? If it is a noisy gearbox it will often be in top gear if the bike has a long commuting history as thats the gear it spends most time in on freeways and open roads. Just keep riding it. If it gets worse, you may only have gears 1-4 to use. A gearbox rebuild to rectify it will be thousands at a bike shop so not worth it IMO on a VTR250
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Thanks! Ill see how it goes! I have 1 year of LAMS to go so I will either buy an untestricted bike in a year, or a LAMS 500cc or something in a few months.