Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VTR1000 vs Inline 4

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by CarterBones, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Hello ....

I just looking for some advice. I have a GSX650F, she's a fat old thing but suites me well for my daily commute. I maintain her myself on a regular basi and enjoy this aspect.

The problem, a couple of weeks ago I started to go group riding up some very nice twisty roads and don't get me wrong the 650 was good enough, if a bit heavy and lacking some mid range.

This had me thinking.... I need another bike.

I have booked some test rides on a few oldish bikes as the budget doesn't stretch that far for a new bike. I have already ridden a 2008 CBR1000RR lovely bike but a waste of money as I will never have the ability to get 25% out of the bike.

The next on the list is a 2008 GSX-R600 and a 2008 CBR600RR, and just to throw a spanner in the work a 2004 VTR1000. The VTR1000 does interest and I'm looking forward to the test ride but a test ride is not like living with a bike for a while.

I would like to hear some peoples experiences of going v-twin after having lived of inline 4's

Thanks

2. The big v twin is a lumpy lurching thing after the turbine smoothness of a japanese inline four.
    But it's interesting and makes you feel good when you've got the hang of it and are managing the throttle just right.
    I went from a GSX650F (lams) to a KTM 990 SMT, night and day, but I appreciate both.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mate look here - [QLD] - 1998 5th Gen VFR800
    Excellent bike that is very reliable and the V4 sound!! Ridden properly its quite quick in the twisties and comfortable enough for multi day tours. Excellent bike for the dosh.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Love the torque of the v-twin. And just think how much less effort is required when its time to change plugs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Why not look at something inbetween like a triple? You can find Daytona 675's pretty cheap occasionally

• Like Like x 1
  6. The twins are a bit of different beast, but especially with VTR1000, there will be plenty of grunt, enough torque and mid range you rarely get caught in the wrong gear....... not to mention they sound awesome!!!!

Although +1 for VFR800, rode one a couple of months back, really nice and comfortable, easy enough to throw around and value for money, easily pick one up for around $8k

• Like Like x 1
  7. To be honest I've had them on the list... they just don't come up very often in my budget range. I have ridden a Street and a Speed and did like the sound and power,

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Yeah they occasionally come up for great prices, but from what i've heard they are such good bikes that people don't want to sell them

• Like Like x 1
  9. Well the deed is done... I rode the GSX-R600 and then the CBR600RR both nice and smooth, the power is clinical the sitting positions aren't too bad, then I test rode the VTR well what can I say I'm still grinning, I toke a shine to it straight away.

I'm not say it would be the same for everyone but if you've never ridden a big sporty V-twin I would recommend it. Yes it vibrates and yes it's noisy, but the power is so linear it's there all the time in any gear, so I purchased a VTR1000 for less than $4000 otr with only 38K on the clock. Plus because I'm a over 45 the insurance is only 250 bucks a year, it's cheaper than my GSX650F.

Happy Days...

• Like Like x 11
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Congrats mate, hope it serves you well

11. Thanks..... looking forward to next weekend when I can give it a good run...

12. Can't beat a Firestorm.
    Congrats.

If you plan on really riding her the suspension is likely to need work.

13. Thanks ... I will take than suspension tip in to consideration, I will give her a couple of sessions up Mt Nebo and see how she goes.

14. The TL-1000S was my favourite of the two but both are great bikes. My mate had a Firestorm and between his Yoshis and my Termi race pipe, it was always a glorious rumble whenever we rode together.

Congrats on the new steed CarterBonesCarterBones

• Like Like x 2
  15. Nice work. I have been loving my KTM 990 Supderduke R since I bought it. My mate on his MV 910 Brutale always commented on how easy the V-twin pulled away from him out of corners.
    Mid range grunt is very enjoyable and more 'real world' usable.
    The VTR should serve you well.

I hope to see you out in the SE QLD hills sometime.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Thanks..I'm looking forward to the v-twin it's going to be a great learning experience... I will look for a Superduke when I'm out next time...

Cheers

17. CarterBonesCarterBones i picked up a vtr1000 last year and I swear you couldn't punch the smile off my face after a ride. I got an 05 red one with 7600kms (barely broken in!) for $6k, and I couldn't be happier. I just put braided brake and clutch lines on and what a transformation. I am far from a fast rider and even so the difference in braking after this upgrade is phenomenal. I like the clutch more now too, but I often talk myself into thinking things are better after I've spent money on them...

• Like Like x 1
  18. Thanks Steve, I do like the idea I upgrading the lines. Have you done anything else mechanically to the bike? Brakes or suspension?

19. CarterBonesCarterBones No i haven't been riding for long (couple of years) and came up to the vtr from an imported carby cb400, so I spent the first few months of ownership being equal parts awestruck, fearful, respectful, and shitting myself, and am now just settling in to the litre v twin. The bike is stock except for the braided lines. There's a heap of easy to do mods (get on the ozfirestorm forum if you haven't had a look already, a bunch of friendly and extremely helpful people over there who are all mad keen firestorm owners) but I'd like to get a good feel for the stock bike before tinkering too much.

Also if you decide to do the braided clutch line as well as brakes, the clutch hose is actually swaged to pipe in the middle where it runs past the engine, then swaged back to hose for connection at the gearbox and it's a bit of a ball ache to pull the bastard out as the pipe doesn't bend so well... Some dismantling required.

if you haven't been researching much, a few things you might want to consider -

In the exhaust system there's a cheap weld with overhanging pipe inside the mid pipe of the right hand exhaust. A lot of storm owners have felt much better about low down smoothness by dremeling or die grinding the overhanging lip out, but I am not super confident messing about with the exhaust, plus my mechanic tuned and balanced the carbsduring service last week and the bike is running like a song.

spacer on rear shock - I'm not really an aggressive enough rider to warrant lifting the back end and dropping the rake angle for quicker turn ins, but whatever floats your boat. I have a few square uni strut washers in aluminium and also stainless left over from a job that are about 5mm thick and I'll make you a spacer for the cost of postage if that's something that interests you. I am pretty keen to throw one on and see how different it feels. A 6mm shim seems to be the most common but I've read of folk doing 2, 3, 4 and 5mm and even up to 1/4" shims so I guess everyone's different. I'm not really sure what the difference will be so a bigger one will be better to feel that I guess.

43t sprocket on the back. This will shorten your gearing a little (I'm thinking about this as mine stutters around at low speed without a massive handful of clutch and it revs so low on the motorway that I don't think the reduction it'd be too much of a problem at higher speeds), but if you keep the stock 102 link chain it will shorten your wheelbase a few mm which will also help with the cornering, but again I don't really ride fast enough (or well enough) to need or even notice things like this. Also I feel like a lot of work by a lot of people a lot smarter than me goes into the gearing of a motorbike and to be perfectly honest the front wheel is light enough on this particular model without throwing extra teeth on the back.

Anyway I'm not sure I have time to write an anthology today I don't know what happened just now I completely lost track of time haha. So stoked for you and your new storm, many happy kms to come.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Goes to look at Bikesales for a VTR1000.

Again.

• Funny Funny x 1