Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Vtr 250 handle bar swap (help needed)

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by Scarfo88, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Hello,

I have had my vtr and licence since feb this year, and as of 2 weeks ago I was happy to leave it stock. Then it started.

Megacycle exhaust- Highly recomend it, sounds so sweet. (the owner Ken also welded a flange onto the stock exhaust so i could bolt the original back on)
    Led tail tidy and led blinker replacement.

I also bought and have yet to install these items

Renthal 7/8 Ultra Low Black http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/270833377993?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

bar end mirrors http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/330519251950?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

rizoma grips http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/330519251950?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I have been reading up on how to change the bar over, and it seems doable( for my current skill level), just wondering if someone could run me through what not to do when putting all the levers back on.

Also I read somewhere that with those rizoma grips i might need to cut something off the throttle so it will fit properly? Is that correct?

I'll post up some pics and a sound clip, when im finished.

2. Hi, Two things to watch out for.

1. You have to drill a small hole in the handlebar for a locating pin that's inside the VTR250 throttle control. To get the hole in the right spot you need the handlebar correctly positioned (see 2).

2. If the handlebar is higher or wider than the original it's likely you'll have problems with the clutch or throttle cables stretching when you turn. You'll need to check at full left/right turn to make sure cables aren't binding.

JohnH

3. Thabks for that info John,

Wondering if the hole needs to be drilled, or can that pin be sanded off? Is it required to keep the throttle in place?

4. Pin is required, it stops the whole thing rotating. The two screws alone won't lock it in place. Drilling is easy, but make sure the hole is exact position and size.

5. Put everything together. Only issue is slight vibration in the right hand bar end mirror. I might re tighten everything.

Pictures to follow

6. Interested in getting the Ultra Low Renthals as well, and I'm interested in what difference in feel the made. Did the riding position change much? Was there any issue with clearing the tank? Do you have any pics of the finished setup?

Thanks

7. Hey mate, how big was the hole? I'm wanting to change my to ace bars so would like to get the correct drill bit before I take everything apart.

Any pics?