Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VT250 Spada or VTR250

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Nocturne, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Hi all,

Some of you may be aware i'm on the lookout for a VTR250 for when i get my L's (hopefully!) next month.

I've had a look at a few other bikes and none of them seem to really take my fancy, but i happened to stumble accross the VT250 Spada and am hoping to get peoples opinions on which one to go for?

From my limited knowledge and attempted google-fu, i've come up with the VT250 Spada being the predecessor to the VTR250 with a little more power and obviously a little older. They also look very similar, though i think the sleeker lines of the VTR250 are better personally - Both bikes have gotten nice wraps based on my readings here

Other than that i seem to get the impression they are basically the same fun & reliable bikes that are great for a learner.

So basically, is there any reason i should be looking for one over the other or is it really just down to personal preference of the look and available $?

This is the one i stumbled accross and is actually pretty close to me too so considering having a look and getting my mate to test ride it for me and inspect with me to make sure everything is in good condition etc http://www.bikesales.com.au/private/details/honda-vt250-spada-1989-13021262?ref=Item
  2. Replace "a little older" with "much older" - there's nearly a decade between the two bikes.

Spadas were a good bike in their day, but keep in mind that they are all now 23 years old - and only 2 years off being potentially eligible for historic registration (I believe 25 years is the norm for Japanese bikes but happy to be corrected on that).

If you're really short on cash then a Spada might be worth a look, though keep in mind odometer readings are basically meaningless (far too many have had their odometers wound back and/or replaced). Otherwise I'd definitely go for a VTR.
  3. Oh i see. I thought there was some older VTR's too, but didn't realise the age gap!

In that case i definitely see what you mean.

I've actually had a couple friends and people from other forums suggest me the Suzuki GS500, however i'm a little hesitant to go that as i'm a small fellow 167cm / 5'6", 80kg (and dropping) so might be a bit too big initially, and then there is the additional rego + CTP + insurance costs involved despite it also being LAMs
  4. My question for the VTR250 would be: 'Can you go on little trips with one?'

I'm tossing up between the VTR250 and the GS500, but the GS500 costs a bit more.
  5. I get the impression the VTR250 is great for everything however the GS500 is better at handling highway speeds. Both are comfortable etc

In NSW not much of a concern re highway speeds though since L's and P's are restricted to 80/90
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I really like the VTR and would go for one if I was on restricted license. Get a newer fuel injected VTR for reliability. I'm sure you can do long trips with it, just as any 250cc.

Good luck!
  7. Thanks :)

I'd adore the new EFI ones, i really really would, but $6,500 is the cheapest and thats a bit more than i'd really like to spend on my first bike.

I will have to be on my P's for the 3yrs (22...) so perhaps the extra stretch may be worth it? For the extra cash i assumed there would be better options though?

http://www.bikesales.com.au/private... 1430 1429 1626 1428 4294967259 4294961016 80
  8. Yes, they are a bit pricey. But if you intend on keep riding, and keep the bike for three years, I would consider paying a little bit more. It also depends on how good you are with the socket set.

Another bike worth looking at is the CB400. Also a bit more expensive but very popular.
  9. Had previously considered the CB400 but wrote it off based on cost + the additional costs involved in it being a 400

I'm pretty handy with tools these days and try to do as much of the stuff on my car that i can manage, so the bike will be the same story hopefully.

Will do some further research on them cheers :D
  10. I rode my 2007 VTR from Melbourne to Adelaide with no problems. The only issue I had was, whilst it'll do 110 no worries, the riders I was with were all on large cc bikes (smallest was a striple), and had $1.30-$1.40 in their pockets. That was a bit of a struggle.

Aside from that, no worries. Had soft panniers on for my stuff.
  11. Think about, how long will you keep the bike for once L and P's are off? If the answer is going to be 'for a while' then the 500 will suit you more due to the extra 'room' for your riding experience, alot of people have hung to the 500's longer then the VTR due to the 250 limitations. Might save you money in the long term. Both bikes are great learner bikes.
  12. Worth keeping in mind that although the GS500 has a bigger engine - it's not exactly a sophisticated piece of machinery (it's an air-cooled 2-valve engine that's basically unchanged since the 1970s).

The most important thing when looking at a LAMs bike is to find something that you feel comfortable on, as some bikes will certainly feel more natural than others even just to sit on.
  13. ^Exactly.

unless you have some mechanical know how and abit of extra cash for parts that would be inevitably worn, I wouldn't bother with the spada.

A VTR250 in very good condition can be had for for approx $4k.
  14. VTR or GS500 would both be great choices.

If you're a smaller person then an older CBR250R might also appeal - they handle very well, go like a whipped racehorse and rev out like an F1 car... lovely little bikes and bone reliable for the most part.

Cheers - boingk
  15. older cbr250r's have the same issue as the spada, they are all relatively old, good little bikes but older normally means more issues, not all the time but most ot the time.

I just traded my 01 vtr and it was a blast, i think the vtr's must be one of the easiest bikes to ride, especially for people completely new to riding, or smaller people, light nimber and predictable. im still restricted so now on a cb400 and its a different league, heavier, and so much more torque. with 3years on restrictions its a difficult qn, as to where to start.

good luck
  16. What issues exactly? Other than a noisy cam chain and weak speedo needle on Spadas I haven't experienced anything major. Neither have I read reports of significant issues on the web.
  17. Thanks all :)

I managed to catch up with a good mate during lunch today and sat on his 2011 CBR250R so i could gauge the sizing, seating position etc on that.

I must say this bike actually fitted me perfectly and was very very comfy. I'm short, a little bit taller than my mate, and he actually comment on how the bike was a good size and i looked comfortable too.

I think it's given me a good baseline to try bikes against. I'm really suprised by how much i like it though...
  18. ^Ride something with 2 or more cylinders before doing anything....hasty
  19. I definitely will be
  20. I got a Spada and I've done nearly 7,000km on it myself and haven't had a problem yet. Sure it takes a minute to warm up but you can expect that with any carby bike.
    Provided you get a well maintained bike you shouldn't have an issue. That goes for old and new bikes.

Also the Spada looks way better than the VTR. ;)