Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VT250 Spada - Intermittent tacho

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by NiteKreeper, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Last weekend I removed my instruments to glue up a crack in the case and paint the cover (matt black, of course).

Since then I've noticed that the tacho doesn't always fire when I start the engine, but will jump up and start working along the way - this could be anywhere between idling at warmup, to 20-odd K's down the road.
    I don't know what causes it to start working, since I've tried taking it to redline (in and out of gear), cruising on constant RPM, riding over bumps and even turning it all off and back on again.

It's happened once before last winter, when I'd also had the instruments off. But after about a month it just started working again and I forgot about it.

I don't really "use" the tacho apart from setting the choke on a cold morning, but it just annoys me - any ideas on the cause?
  2. Sounds like a poor electrical connection, most likely within whatever you disconnected to remove the instruments. Check and clean the connectors and try again.
  3. So simple and so likely - thanks JD.
  4. Had the same problem; in my case it was actually physically jamming and would vibrate loose after a while. Spraying the inside with WD40 helped.