Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VT 750C fuel?

Discussion in 'Cruisers' started by jphanna, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Guys,

i am on verge of buying a Honda VT750C i am getting conflicting info about fuel required?

2. redvt.

this 2009 model
  3. If you talk to any 1/2 decent mechanic they will tell you to never, ever put ethanol in a bike motor. You will get better economy out of 95 and for the additional $0.10litre it's cheap peace of mind. 98 is a waste, in that bike, so it would be 95 if it was mine.
  4. Agree, ethanol has no place in our bike engines. If the VT runs ok on 91 straight unleaded then that's probably the most cost effective fuel and will be cheaper per kilometre than either E10 or 95, let alone 98. If you can't get non-ethanol 91 use 95. Also agree that 98 is a waste unless your engine specifically requires it ... not that I've personally seen a bike that does but you never know.
  5. I not worried about an extra 10 cents per litre. I just remember our RAA doing a test on premieum fuel verses 91, many years ago and unless the motor was tuned for premium, it was found that no benefit that was recorded.

the reason I brought this up is that some times you gotta get fuel from small country towns and they got maybe one pump, if your lucky in front of a general store. premium may not be avail and don't want to be stranded.
  6. You should be able to pick up 95 from anywhere these days. 98 may be a different matter. I had a Suzuki Bandit 1200 and that would run on 90 octane, but ran a lot better on 95. That was when non ethanol unleaded was readily available and 98 was still a few years off. Try standard unleaded (if you can get it at a garage near you) and also 95 and make the call after that. Check you fuel economy using both and the pulling under load.
  7. I ran 95 - 98 in my Suzuki C50T Boulevard and the difference was noticable in klms per tank.

In saying that, it liked Caltex 95 better than BP 98 by a long shot, yet my VFR loves Shell.....go figure.

Experiment until you find something you like.
  8. 95 always for me, but if the manual says 91 is OK, I wouldn't worry about the occasional dose if that's all there is somewhere out in the sticks. Likewise, I wouldn't worry about if it has ethanol, but on both counts it's only if it's occasional where there's no other option.

It's regular use where the more serious issues can arise, so I abide by the mantra "91 is crap, ethanol or not". It has felt obviously enough and immediately worse when I've occasionally put it in carbed and EFI bikes and cars that have been OK for 91 by the manual. Long term use can only get worse from there.
  9. If your manual says anything about ethanol then the fuel lines would be made to withstand it. It is therefore safe to use a blend. Ducati had to replace a whole heap of fuel tanks on the 1098's some years back because the ethanol caused the plastic tanks to expand. The truth behind that was that all you had to do was take the fuel pump out and empty the fuel and let it sit and it would normally return to normal shape.
  10. I will only use 98, much better economy regardless of the extra price.