Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC VP agree - Tyre warming is 'hooning'

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by titus, Aug 29, 2013.

1. I just heard VP Chief Commissioner Ken Lay state that he firmly believes that 'weaving', while not strictly against the law in itself, is inherently dangerous and that motorcycle tyres do not need warming up.
    He then went on to agree with Jon Faine that the behaviour was 'on the cusp of hooning', and said "We don't want to see 40,000' motorcyclists doing that on our roads".
    Whatcha think?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Should mention that the caller who brought it up was justifying himself on the basis of bedding in new brake pads. Lay (and Faine) categorically declared that pads do not need bedding in, or in this manner.
  3. I agree with him.

Warming up tyres?

What are you guys trying to do? Set lap times on the road?
  4. I thought that weaving didn't actually warm up your tyres, you needed hard acceleration / braking for that?
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Yes! Yes we do, we want to see hundreds of thousands of motorbikes weaving on our roads..
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. I think most riders would agree with you. However it is something that racers do for various reasons. The question as I see it is this: is it something for the individual to decide for themselves, or does it (as Lay and Faine agreed) constitute and indication that the riders intends to break laws, or even constitute 'dangerous driving' in itself?
    Make no mistake - other riders have called in saying that the rider should have been charged.
  7. #7 iClint, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
    Normally when I see some one weaving for no apparent reason i think "Knob".

I can ride the 10km to work on a cold morning with out weaving once get to work and my tyres are hot to the touch from the centre to the very edge.

the only time i will weave is if i believe i have collected some shit on my tyres perhaps after filling up petrol if i rolled through some diesel id rather rub it off in a controlled situation when i am prepared than on the first round about I come to, and even then it is one or two left and rights not weaving back and forth for a kilometre down the road.

edit: it does worry me that while technically not illegal (moving about in your own lane) that police are already thinking up ways to bend hoon laws to encompass anything they see fit... what snext blipping on a down shift = Hoon! or even legitimate road craft being labeled hooning
    • Like Like x 1
  8. burnouts are better to warm your tyers
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. If you're having fun you're hooning. End of discussion.

Weaving through white lines? That's a hooning.

Hard acceleration / braking? That's a hooning.

Rev matching on down shift? That's a hooning.

.. and so on ..
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. #10 AcidTrip, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
    I love the "them vs us" attitude that's prevailing in the media these days. People just need something be outraged about to get out of bed these days. Instead of getting outraged at people getting attacked with chemical weapons in their own homes, lets get outraged at those hoon motorcyclists pushing in in our queues. It's completely unfair I tell you, completely unfair!

Thought I'd add, I weave on the freeways when the music on the Sena makes me happy. Otherwise just sitting there nodding my head gets pretty boring. Hoon to the last chorus :)
    • Like Like x 2
  11. First world problems...
    • Agree Agree x 3
  12. The only time I weave is on my commute during rain. When I get into the burnley or domain tunnel, Farkin oath I'll weave on a dry bit of road. Sometimes I go wild. 110 and 170 tyres with my fat arse on them struggle at the best of times. Add to that, budget dunlop tyres. I'll do whatever I think helps, and weaving sure doesn't hurt.
  13. I weave every time I'm on the road, not for warming up tyres though. I get bored very easily, especially on a 100km commute round trip every day. It has its benefits, it removes the wankers who tailgate me during peak traffic who are busy texting their peeps or something.

I have not heard of anyone crashing or causing a crash when weaving within their lane.
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  14. So what about weaving as a Smidsy avoidance technique ?
    • Agree Agree x 12
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Something I often do on country roads when I see someone pull out at a T intersection. The changing angle of the headlights helps them notice you.
    • Agree Agree x 7
  16. I have been known from time to time to "weave" as a learner rider and now as I get used to the new bike. The weaving for me is about remembering to dance with the bike and not sit on it like there's a stick up my butt (as those behind me on Sunday will attest I can do very well). BUT I pick where I do that - the Motorway, or commuter traffic = no (and unnecessary). Open country road before a long twisty ride = yes.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. I live on a dirt road, with about a 1km of dirt before I hit a sealed road. At this time of year the dirt road is always wet, i.e. muddy.
    When I hit the sealed road I have a straight section and always weave to remove the slippery mud before I hit the first bend out of Cockatoo which is twisties to some degree on every road out of town.
    So anything to warm and clean tyres is needed.

Weaving may not be needed in the city but is important for me in the hills.
  18. Right. I'm not saying the practice should be made illegal, just that saying "I need to do this to warm up my tyres" is probably not the best argument.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. ^^^^ this .... FFS people in Vic you need to hammer this tool of a Vice commissioner and correct this abysmal attack on a roadcraft technique that will save lives !!! FFS
    • Agree Agree x 3
  20. To be fair the rider who called in defended the practise on the basis that the installation instructions for his brake pads suggested it. My guess is that lateral pressure from the movement might help to centre the pads and equalise hydraulic pressure (only a guess - don't shoot).
    It appears that it was the cop who pulled him over that described it as 'tyre warming' and who appeared to indicate that it was illegal, presumably on the grounds that it was dangerous. Rider was not actually charged.
    Faine suggested that is was 'on the cusp of hooning' (meaning that he was evidence that he 'about to hoon', or possibly that is was 'hooning' in itself because it was unnecessary?). Ken Lay agreed.