Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by lowercase, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Hey hey hey... :)

I just wanted to let you all know, that today I got accepted to volunteer in South Africa for 3-6 months!!! (I wanted to for a year, but that's cool, I can always go back when I want to)

The reason I'm posting this is because I always thought it was too difficult, or too expensive, or this or that or this. Well, since moving to QLD and working a LOT less hours, it's given me time to research it.

Turns out I can actually fundraise the money (no, I'm not asking for money... not yet, anyways!), and there's more I can help out with than I originally thought.

I'm going to be helping out with Wildlife Care & Rehabilitation - which is from sick elephants, rhino's, giraffes and birds, through to raising baby elephants, rhino's, giraffes and birds etc. cheetahs, zebras, primates... It is a dream come true. Food preparation, living in amongst it all, doing something selfless and rewarding... it's just incredible.

I guess this is just to let others know, who have had this dream, they should look into it again. It's do-able.

Is there anyone on here who has already done it?

I'll be going there in October 2012, so it's a while away yet, but plenty of time to fundraise, prepare, get fitter, and plan out a round the world trip, the volunteering being the central component.

2. Sounds good Holly. I only know of one mate who volunteered helping local communities in remote areas of Bolivia after we finished uni. He was robbed at gunpoint 3 times in 3 months and he said that the people didn't even seem like they appreciated the help at all. He was left rather disheartened and cynical by the end of it.

I hope your experience will be much more rewarding and enjoyable.
  3. good on ya holly, its a worthy cause and ive heard good things about them. I wanted to go to South America many years ago but job and cost ultimately put a stop to it. Good luck with yours, have fun and keep in touch with your Netrider buddies.
  4. I dragged a guy out of retirement to do a 6 month contract for me. His retirment was travelling around 3rd world countries helping to educate kids. He has been a few places. He got paid, but it was so little it was not even enough to cover food. Anyway, he loves doing it and always talks it up. Good on you, hope you enjoy it.
  5. That would be a very satisfying life, regardless of the hardship. Im sure you will love the experience.
  6. Onya Hol,

It will be the adventure of a lifetime.
  7. yeah, i've made sure to research the place thoroughly first - nothing like Bolivia! it's north of Swaziland and just east of Mozambique. actually situated IN South Africa.

it will be an amazing experience :)
  8. Avoid the Nigerians.
  9. wo wo wait just a minute

Attached Files:

10. oh wait you said nigerians, all good carry on