Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VN250 Engine noise

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by GIBBO1948, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Hi All Am new at this and am not a computer scientist have a vn250 that has an engine noise or two first one sounds like a chain noise second one sounds like a valve clearance noise have run engine with valve covers off nothing moving around cam chains tight tensioner tight no slack in chain noise is there all time and increases with rpm also have checked valve clearances cjhanged oil chained filter hope someone out there can advise

2. Hi Gibbo, welcome to the forum. Your opening thread is more a technical one so I have moved it to a more appropriate location.

I would suspect Cam chain or tensioner but it looks like you have already been down that path. Do you feel a power loss? Maybe valve spring that is sticking and not letting the valve close properly. Valve seats damaged perhaps although that is less likely. Record the sound and post it up, perhaps people more familiar with the Kwaka Twins may have a suggestion.
  3. thanks for the reply went to Kwaka dealer in Dubbo yesterday with a video of noise they assure me noise is in cam chain region
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Probably a worn out cam chain - stretched over time. They are a great little cruiser and go exceptionally well for a 250. Some models were "restricted" in the carbies for international learner compliance and getting rid of that restriction gives way more power - about 25% increase. Basically they drilled small holes in the carby slides so the vacuum that operates the slides (slides control the amount of air/fuel and hence power) gets weak at about 3/4 throttle. Remove the slides and fill the holes and you have full power....
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. hey thats great thankyou