Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Vn250 - Dead Battery, Where Is It And Which Charger To Buy?

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' at netrider.net.au started by GunSlingerAU, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Hey folks

I don't ride my bike a lot these days, mainly for weekend cruises every few weeks. As a result I often find the battery is dead. That was fine in the old house where I lived on a hill and could jump start it, but now I'm on a flat I'm sh*t outta luck.

I'd like to buy a battery charger for it - which one do you guys recommend? Also, where the heck is the battery on this bike, and how do I access it?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

2.  Top
  3. Whoops, I put the name of the bike in the thread title but not the thread itself. It's a Kawasaki VN250 Eliminator. Any idea how to lift the seat off?

So you recommend the CTEK XS 0.8?

4. Have you checked under the seat? That's usually where the battery is on a bike.

As for chargers the first thing to look for is something that's motorcycle specific, or has a motorcycle setting. Obviously being a much smaller battery it needs to be charged differently to what's used in cars. Also best to get one of the more modern "intelligent" chargers that will not only charge a flat battery, but can also be left connected to keep the battery from going flat in the first place. Shouldn't mean having to spend a lot of money though, I picked up an intelligent charger for cars and bikes from Aldi a while back for around $30.

Just don't buy any of the cheap chargers from Jaycar. I did, and it only lasted a few months before dying (like everything else I've bought from Jaycar). The Aldi one I'm using has been going strong for a couple of years now, so cheap can be good (but Jaycar are shit).

5. I've only ridden the 175cc version, but on that removing the seat required popping off the sidecovers and undoing the screws holding the seat on (a stupid design IMO).

6. Hmm, I'm not sure there is a 175cc version? Here's what she looks like http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:...7TN4MPqllHG9E3qfPK0u7Cvz8ZW4y7A5VvnCsZynSixkQ

I'll just unscrew everything around the seat until I find that sucker! Gonna head down to MCA's this arvo to see what they've got in stock.

7. There is. It's based on the 125cc version sold in Singapore and made in Malaysia by Modenas (sold under the name Jaguh).
    Kawasaki-Eliminator-125-2006-1-QHTXE1PQQ1-1024x768.

8. The seat is held by one bolt each side, next to the suspension mount. Remove the rear chrome trim to get access.

9. I definitely recommend that battery tender.
    While I had the bike (that needed it) it worked flawlessly.
    The battery would go flat after 2 weeks of not riding it before I had the battery tender.
    With the battery tender it would start first time after a month.

If you're not riding on a regular basis I would highly recommend a CTEK battery tender.

BTW I use the term tender instead of charger.
    They are designed to keep the battery in working order, not charge them from dead.
    So you leave it attached to your battery when you know its not going to be ridden for a while.

• Like Like x 1
  10. you cud try reading the manual
    or go have a look for it.

you probbally need a new battery

11. I bought a little trickle charger from Battery World. Works a treat. As well as the standard connector it has an additional cable that I hooked up to the battery and tucked the cable in behind a side cover. I still need to unclip and remove seat to get the side cover off but then I just pop the seat back on and plug it in.
    It's more of a maintenance charger to keep the battery charged up and won't do a dead battery.