Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VMU Update

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by vic, Jun 25, 2005.

1. http://www.vmu.org.au/

A special general meeting of the Victorian Motorcyclists Union (Inc) was held on June 6th, 2005 under rules 10.3 and 10.4 of Associations Incorporation Act (1981)

At this meeting, a VMU motion was passed that under Rule 30 of the Associations Incorporation Act (1981) all committee of management positions of the VMU are removed and vacant, effective immediately.

The Victorian Motorcyclists Union (Incorporated) advises that no nominations were received for it's advertised vacant commitee of management positions by the closure date of 5:00pm on Tuesday June 21st, 2005.

Consequently, the special general meeting scheduled for June 28th to review and vote on the committee of management nominees will not occur.

The interim VMU committed of management further advises that it has therefore dissolved the VMU and sent all the required paperwork to the Office of Consumer Affairs (Victoria)

If you have any queries, please send an email to info@vmu.org.au

2. Well, I guess that concerns about arguing between two different groups are null and void now.....

:D :D :D

3. Then the VMC , hell , why not all of them . That will teach the government wont it . Unbeleivable.

4. I agree with you there Martyh . Let us have a political uprising . Sounds like fun :D .

5. and then all Honda owners...............hmmmmm dont think i shoulda said that :!:

6. EUREKA..........!

ummm
    maybe not
    last revolution, people got killed :evil:

7. Viva Le France :shock:

Cheers 8)

8. then who will stand up for riders?

people got on here , whinging and bitching about all differant issues , the oppertunity came up where netriders could have put forward there own ticket and tried to fix what was going on in motorcycling .
    what happened nothing , this only goes to confirm the everyone who whinges and bitchs here about bike issues should now shut up.
    You have shown that you are not concerned about issues and not willing to step up and fix it when the oppertunity arose.
    Apathey at its best

maybe before these people run the mraa down and slag it off , next time remember that these people are doing something they arent .....giving it a go, sacraficing there time to try and get issues fixed.

thats more than what came out of here.

9. Are you an MRA member Glen? Still no .. well I guess your whinge and sook is just as good as anyone's elses.

Problem is, the Vic MRA are a complete joke. Interstate groups laugh at them, government laughs at them, riders laugh at them, and the "old-guard" puppeteer the newcomers because they don't have enough spine or support from the predominantly "old-guard" membership base.

Marty is exactly right .. the MRA needs to go also.

10. i can see glen's point that riders need representation... but I also concede that the representation needs a bit of quality.

So if all the bodies disbanded, out of the MRA/VMU ashes would we see a new body form? Still need someone to represent us.

11. Ok who stepped up to the plate to start doing something, changing things ,putting issues forward Not one of ya'''s but your all willing enough to post this crap

WANNABEE's

12. Jason
    I am going to disagree or if you like, not totally agree

Any organisation is really only the sum of its committee and members

If there is a high level of dissatisfaction (I gather from comments there is)
    then you start by lopping the head off..get rid of the board or the
    committee and then see which members are interested in keeping
    the 'body' alive
    if none... it dies, like VMU did

If there is still interest, away you go with NEW bods on the board
    and you have to spill ALL positions
    no good cleaning out the board if the s**tkickers on the events
    panel are still causing problems...sound familiar ?? :p

Ideally in Vic, we need a credible body ( I don't care what its called)
    and can I suggest that it looks like/operates like MCCNSW

and I declare an interest here- MRAA VMU Ulysses member and Netrider :wink:

cheers

13. Unfortunately as long as a certain life member is still a life member and exerts influence behind the scenes the MRA is irrelevant.

14. Exactly my point .. MRA board members, committee members, volunteers, and active members come and go. Many try to change the organisation and make it worthwhile, but there's just not enough interest to do it properly, and too much lack of spine from the "old guard" who like it to stay as it it and puppeteer it. The MRA will never be a peak or representative body in Victoria .. it has too much of a credibility problem with interstate and national groups, riders, and safety/govt bodies.

Yes, yes, and yes. One that has real representation through anyone and everyone, transparency, and an understanding of how effectual lobbying is done in this day and age.

15. Old-guard!

Current Board etc...

Derek joined the MRA in 2003.

I've only been back in Melbourne a few years and only joined the MRA in 2003. (I've been a Netrider member longer than I've been an MRA member)
    Shane's only been riding a couple of years.

Mark W's only been a member for a while.

Rik's been a member for a while - not on any boards or anything though...

Austin's not exactly Old Guard either.

Mick's only just off his P's - that doesn't make him a member for long.

Forum webmaster Gavin - number one on Damien's s*it list.

Michael Czjaka (who's actually not on the board) who has been around a while but is very highly respected in the field of Motorcycle Safety..

Anton (who's not actually on the board either) but he is OLD... :D

OH!... You mean Damien - who's not actually on the board and who complains about us even more than Jason does. :LOL: :LOL:

Martin the Newsletter editor - whose probably the person Damien complains about most!

That only leaves el Presidente - Dale Do you really see Dale as a "Puppet Master"??? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Funny that - our membership keeps increasing, while the Alex Money appreciation society seems to have folded. :p :p

No Glen's not currently a member but he gives up time and helps a lot of things that he's not a member of...

He's even sat in on a meeting and taken minutes for me (thanks for that) . He's been a lot more help than any of Jason's mythical Old Guard.

Can you tell us please just who this "old Guard" actually is Jason. We'd love to know who's pulling our strings (as opposed to what some of our know-nothing critics appear to be pulling :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: )

TonyE

16. I'm almost out of popcorn :wink: .

17. If, as you claim, this truly is the case, then if the MRA and other groups fold or die away, where will this expertise come from to meet future challenges?

Why isn't it coming forward now to save the MRA, or in the case of the VMU, which was a new org at the time?

In the end, it doesn't matter who's at the helm. If the riders don't want to support it, then it's going to fail.

What I take exception to are those who seek to criticise the MRA (and other orgs) and the members who are volunteers, and who are only trying to do what they can for riders, but these same people refuse to get off their arses and offer to help.

Eg. last QGM, there were less than 20 people present, if my numbers are correct. When it comes to doing work like say, stuffing envelopes for the newsletter, no-one other than the 2 or 3 regulars bother to offer to help.

It seems be that the only time that you do see anything like a mass involvement are in the more "sexy" activities such as toy runs, GP runs and the odd protest run, of which, to me, the attendance levels seem to be dictated by good weather, something to do on a Sunday morning, I'm going to the GP anyway, might as well ride with the group, that sort of thing.

No-one volunteers to help the advocacy committees, conduct research, help with the boring, and decidedly unsexy aspects of what such organisations are about, and where most of the crucial work is done.

Some cite personality issues as a reason (or excuse) for not wanting to get involved. Sure, that can be a pain, but I would have thought that if people are sincere enough, or care enough about "the cause", then they'd rise above it.

In the end, though, for the foreseeable future, Australia is still a democracy, freedom of speech, choice, etc. are still concepts that we enjoy, if not actually enshrined in legislation or constitutions, so people are free to get involved at whatever level they like. I just hope that, like donkey voters, they don't whinge and biatch when there are outcomes that they don't agree with.

Martin.

Ps. Have any of you guys seen the TAC Tax petition that Damien Codognotto has been circulating and lobbying? And if so, have you signed it, or perhaps even made copies of it and distributed it to your local bike shops?