Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National VMC email spam/phishing warning!! "My article"

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by robsalvv, Jun 10, 2016.

1. #1 robsalvv, Jun 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
    Hi Guys

Someone has spoofed up a VMC email asking the reader to click on a link to read an article.

DON'T!! It's not an official email from the VMC.

Fascinating that some spammer/hacker is trying to trade on VMC's reputation - seems that the VMC must be doing something right.

Don't click on the link!!!
    • Informative Informative x 5
  2. Good catch! Someone must think VMC members are worth the effort to target, whether it's for financial or political gain is anyone's guess without properly analysing it.
  3. We are still building profile with riders so yeh, extra interesting pathway they have chosen... my guess is political mischief.
  4. Unfortunately it's not uncommon. Both "hacktivism" and state sponsored shenanigans happen all the time. Though I haven't heard of Australian governments being involved it's not impossible and people with the required skills are most certainly available ... I just wouldn't have thought they'd have the imagination to bypass the Murdock press and act in this manner. A direct website hack, yeah, but going the spam email route? The results are too uncertain. Our spooks like definite access, not "if's" and "maybes".

In case it's financially motivated, make sure any VMC payment portals etc are well secured.
    • Like Like x 1