Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VMAC - Who voted for these guys?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Sir Ride Alot, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Below is an excerpt from a VicRoads response I received regarding a couple of questionable speed limit reductions.

I thought to myself this group does not represent me. I never voted for them.

The Motorcycle Safety Levy, with the guidance of the Victorian Motorcycle
    Advisory Council (VMAC), funds a range of initiatives that address the key
    issues causing motorcycle trauma. The VMAC includes representatives of
    motorcycle rider groups, manufacturers, retailers and rider training
    organisations, as well as Victoria Police, Transport Accident Commission,
    Monash University Accident Research Centre and VicRoads. VicRoads provides
    administrative support to the Council.

This is another example of an out of control bureaucracy in the state of Victoria.
  2. My understanding is that VMAC members serve without recompense. They are not a bureaucratic organisation but one with members drawn from stakeholders in motorcycling, police, industry, academics and motorcycle clubs. You may not believe that they are representative but you have the option of influencing their policies through the MRAV, Ulyssus Club, RACV or any of the other members if you choose. If you have a specific point then write to them and press your opinion.

If you think particular speed reductions are questionable then persist with VicRoads, get them to justify their changes. Apply for supporting evidence for the changes through FOI. I certainly encourage you to persist. Australians are loath to go through the effort of holding their public servants to account.

Good Luck.
  3. cjvfr many thanks for the link and the advise. I have received enough detail in the responses from VicRoads where I can say the process used to reduce speed limits is fairly poor at best.

From the VMAC link above.

The structure and wide-ranging membership of the VMAC ensures that the balanced advice that it provides is contemporary, well informed and represents the views of the motorcycling community.

There is no way that this council represents my views.

It would be great to see a list of all the roads that have had their speed limits increased due to VMAC.
  4. VMAC are appointed. No voting involved.

Tony Ellis who posts here is a member.

Might be attacking the wrong group old son. If you want input join the MRA.
  5. And we have nothing to do with setting speed limits! (I wish we did 8-[ )

AFAIK no advisory group has any influence on speed limits.

Terms of reference
  6. Well...that clears up that little mystery then. Bureaucracy sending Citizen Sir Ride Alot on a wild goose chase.
  7. VMAC advises the Minister on motorcycling issues and is meant to represent the full range of perspectives within the motorcycling community.

Part of the full range is “speed limits”. VMAC can advise on this issue but chooses not to therefore they are in breach of their own terms of reference.

As a motorcyclist I would like to see the speed limits increased. Especially on freeways where a speed limit of at least 130kph is implemented.

This is an unelected body and in my opinion its representation is unbalanced and hard pressed to reflect motorcyclists.

I did not vote for this bureaucratic department to speak on my behalf.

It’s wrong and it has to go.
  8. It has been made very clear that speed limits are not a specific motorcycle issue - they are an issue about all road users and therefore outside the terms of reference of a specifically motorcycle advisory council.
  9. I disagree. Many of my fellow motorcyclists and I would like to have the speed limits increased. This is a major issue.

Why isn't VMAC reflecting this perspective?
  10. Road speed limits are not set at one level for motorbike riders, and another for car drivers, therefore the setting of speed limits is not done based on the opinion of motorbike riders, it is done to cover all vehicles. Remember, motorbike riders are a very small percentage of the population, so even if every motorbike rider in Victoria wanted the speed limits raised, it still isn't going to happen. Even if every car driver in Victoria called for speed limits to be raised to 130km/h on freeways, it isn't going to happen!! Fact of life.

I think the limit on a road such as the Hume Freeway betwen Melbourne and Albury should be higher then the 110 km/h, in fact I think a limit of 120 km/h or 130 km/h would most likely reduce accidents as drivers would be more inclined to concentrate more because of the extra speed on such a boring road, but no matter how much I want it, it isn't going to happen.
  11. Because VMAC representatives from the police and government outnumber those representing riders.
    VMAC is NOT a riders' representative body.(Although it includes a couple).
  12. Well what's the point of Vmac if the riders are under represented?
  13. Well, the government can make decisions that affect riders with advice from a variety of people who know something about the subject (albeit with different agendas); or they can make those decisions in ignorance.
    VMAC is there for the good of the Government. As a byproduct we might get good government.

14. They do anyway.
  15. Many of my fellow motorcyclists and I would like to have free rego and free cold beer waiting at each overnight stop. This also is a major issue but it ain't going to happen.
  16. Here you go shooting your mouth off about something you know nothing about and haven't bothered finding out about - crying undemocratic and unrepresentative. I'm trying to work out if you're just trolling or are genuinely thick.

The fact that you are stimulating conversation on these topics is little consolation when the bulk of it is taken up with explaining why your original posts are idiotic.

Sorry to rant, but it's gone from boring to irritating for me.

The cynical answer is legitimisation - govt can do what they want and say that such and such rep body approved or recommended it.

A more reasoned explanation is that the issues covered are better served with the presence of 'expert' or at least 'authority' reps, as well as providing balance while still being relevant.
  17. The preamble in the VMAC's Terms of Reference clearly states that the advice to be given represents the full range of perspectives within the motorcycle community. To date this has not occurred and this is why VMAC must go. The Minister needs to make the call.

The reduction of the Reefton Spur speed limit is the straw that broke the camels back. Whilst all these organisations were meeting and having fun get togethers Victoria Police, VicRoads and the Yarra Ranges Council went behind everyone’s back and committed one of the worst acts by reducing the speed limit from 100kph to 80kph.

Where was the outcry from all the organisations representing motorcyclists?

What will the members of these organisations be told? Will anything be said?

Was everyone napping or just mesmerised by the seductive temptations of the bureaucrats?
  18. Cry me a river.
  19. Do you think that Vicroads consults VMAC, MRAV or anyone else about speed limits? It's not an exclusively motorcycle issue.
  20. It is more than a motorcycle issue but where does it begin? Does everyone stand back waiting for someone else to say or do something?

Many automotive and motorcycle organisations have failed their members.

Mark Webber had the courage to speak out.

Who is telling the government motorcyclists are not happy with speed limit reductions and VMAC?

“Dear Minister we don’t believe this organisation is providing a balanced representation of motorcyclists. Will you please change it.”

Historically political pressure has been the best method to bring about change. Yet many organisations believe they can bring about effective change via dialogue with bureaucratic departments. The facts on the other hand suggest that conditions for motorcyclists are now worse.