Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Vista Universal Cruise Control

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by Stueh, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Vista Universal Cruise Control?

Hello Everyone,

I'm currently slowly doing upgrades for a long ride (about 6000km) I'm planning on doing later this year. I'm up to looking at cruise control, and am leaning towards the Vista Universal Cruise Control, here: http://www.bikebiz.com.au/products/Vista-Cruise-Control.html

Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm wondering how trustworthy it is, and how easy it is to install?

Cheers,

Stueh

2.  Top
  3. I've tried it on two of my bikes and on a friends bike.

It doesn't work as you'd hope. To get it to lock and not move at all you have to tighten it to the point where even with it 'unlocked' the throttle wont snap back. Basically when set up as it was supposed to be, it still slips but very slowly. Even on absolute max tightness it slips slowly from vibrations and bumps.

However, for freeway use it has its uses - if I'm going to be on a freeway for a long period I pull over, tighten it to max (throttle doesn't snap back) and continue on. As soon as I come off the freeway I pull over and disable it.

In terms of install, its a pain in the ass if you have clippons or limited bar space - some mcgeyvering may be necessary.

I've had the same problem on two of my bikes I tried it with, and on a mates bike. It also takes away a chunk of space on the throttle. I've kept it on because I'll be doing alot of freeway work in the next few weeks. It'll be coming off after that though.

4. Have to agree with everything Phizog has said, but for freeway work they are great.
    I've almost given up looking for the ideal tension so it will hold the throttle but still allow the throttle to spring back.
    Next step is to modify the thumb lock lever to have more travel, that'd work if it's possible.
    i'll report back if I can do it.

5. I read this as 'Vista User Access Control....' to which I'd have responded, 'Get a Mac'. Alas I was wrong. I have no idea about the cruise control. But I still think you should get a Mac.

6. im I strange because I have considered a cruise control for an R1 for the long straight highway sections ?

7. Shouldn't it be called a 'throttle lock' rather than a 'cruise control'?

Don't know that I'd have one...