Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Vision correction surgery

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Atlas, May 25, 2007.

1. Hi folks

considering getting some surgery done to get back to 20/20.

Anyone here dunnit? who do you recommend?

2. Yes I've had LASIC, it was back when LASIC was almost brand new... more than 10 years ago.

I had very poor vision before the surgery was done and ended up with hugely improved but _not_ 20/20 vision afterwards. My vision was good enough to pass the driving test without glasses though. I had a slight loss of contrast which is visible only at night time when there are bright objects against a dark background (say driving at night in the rain). I find myself being more careful in that situation but that is really the only negative.

10 years later my vision has drifted slightly (middle age) and I find myself needing glasses again anyway... but at least now they are very thin and my vision is still usable for everything except night driving without glasses (when I feel more comfortable wearing them). The glasses I had before surgery were very thick OTOH.

I'd give the surgery about an 8 out of 10 and yes I'd quite happily do it again based on my initial situation.

It really depends upon your situation though... if you are getting surgery just for cosmetic reasons then that's probably not the best reason.

If your quality of life is impaired because you find yourself unable to function well without glasses well then it's worth considering.

Each and every case is different and you really need to speak to an expert.

Epworth Hospital down in Melbourne are good, but I have no idea who performs this sort of surgery in Sydney.
  3. wow.. thats a while ago !

wanting it done simply because i live a very active life and i find that glasses are a royal pain in the ass. Contacts arent that great either (dryness, soreness etc)

so looking to get the surgery done. What im hoping to find is recommendations on surgeon or institute, do's dont's, things to watch out for etc..

most places do these for 3000 per eye.. but i found a place that does them for 1000 per eye. personal friend and their friend both did it at the 1000 place, 3 years ago.. no probs since. but i dunno.. thats abig price difference!
  4. Like ZXR, I had it done nearly 10 years ago. Right eye 10/10, left eye maybe 8/10 (bit of astigmatism that didn't get sorted properly). And I had very poor vision before.
    So I would highly recommend it, PROVIDED you meet the criteria. You must have sufficiently thick lens material for them to sculpt with and still leave a safe amount. It works better for correcting short-sightedness than long-sightedness (although you can get good results with either). Some peoples vision is simply too poor to get 20/20 back again.
    You get one done at a time, allowing at least a couple of months in between, for it to settle down properly. That's a tricky time - you may need to get your glasses fitted with a "flat" lens for the eye that's been done (or try to get by with one good eye until the other is done).
    It depends a bit on how old you are. Almost everyone goes through a significant physiological change within their corneas at around the age of 40. It happens over the course of a few months, and you drift away from short-sightedness towards long-sightedness. If you got correction done at 39, and then a year or two later had to wear glasses or contacts a year or two later, because of this change, I think you would be disappointed.
    For this reason, the better surgeons will aim to leave your secondary eye about a half a point or so short-sighted, to allow for the change. If you are well over 40 this won't matter. Your eyes continue to change after that, but much more slowly.
    My guess is the cheap place is using older, less sophisticated equipment (maybe traded in by the more expensive operators). It will still work fine, but perhaps gives less precise control. It might depend on what your vision problem actually is, as to whether this will make a difference in the end result. Pretty safe all 'round, though.
    Good luck with it :)